LegacyGT.com

Winter Tires

cleaner

Who's exaggerating? Nothing I stated is untrue or overstated. They are just plain facts. 3 atmospheres means there is 3 times the normal concentration of O2. The entire tire participates to a greater or lesser degree in the heat cycles. Now, do I think N @ $5 a tire is worth it? Not really.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's exaggerating? Nothing I stated is untrue or overstated. They are just plain facts. 3 atmospheres means there is 3 times the normal concentration of O2. The entire tire participates to a greater or lesser degree in the heat cycles. Now, do I think N @ $5 a tire is worth it? Not really.

3 atm means that the pressure is three times higher, but the concentration is the same. There is three times the number of molecules in the tire at that pressure than in air.

3 atm means that the pressure is three times higher, but the concentration is the same. There is three times the number of molecules in the tire at that pressure than in air.

Three times the number of molecules within the same volume would mean three times the density, n'est pas? Relative concentration would remain the same within the tire (80/20ish) but differ in comparison to ambient air pressure because of higher concentration of molecules.

I need more beer.

Three times the number of molecules within the same volume would mean three times the density, n'est pas? Relative concentration would remain the same within the tire (80/20ish) but differ in comparison to ambient air pressure because of higher concentration of molecules.

I need more beer.

Not quite. There is also three times the concentration of the other molecules, like nitrogen, so the concentration is the same. What you're thinking of is the number of molecules per unit volume, and at 3 atm that is 3 times ambient, but the concentration is the same - it is about 20 % of the gas in the container. The way you are saying it - to paraphrase "the pressure is 3 x ambient, so the concentration of oxygen is 3 x ambient." This statement means that the concentration of oxygen in the air is increased from 20 % ambient to 60 % in that tire, not the case. If so, the nitrogen would have to go from 80 % to 40 %. Make sense? You are thinking not about concentration (or partial pressure, the same thing in this case), you are thinking about the number of molecules per unit volume. There would be no change in the rate of any chemical reaction the oxygen is involved in because of a concentration change, because there is no change.

Here's an update to my previous posting on this thread regarding ordering from Tire Rack shipping to me here in Canada.

The set of Dunlop M3, premounted on to 17x7 Kazera KZ-V SML rims arrived today as promised via UPS.

My general experience with Tire Rack regarding this order has been outstanding with no surprises.

Tire rack included in the package matching Lug nuts, Lug Caps for blank opening (required for the Kazera), a 19/22 mm tools for the lug nuts all for no additional charge. The UPS brokerage and taxes was a little higher than I expected.

I had the wheels mounted on my 06 LGT WGN today, bang for the buck I love the look of those Kazera KZ-V.

In short, if I was to purchase another set of tires with alloy rims I will have no hesitation with Tire Rack.

Overall Rating: 10 out of 10.

For all you Canucks who are contemplating in ordering from Tire Rack and might have some other questions regarding my purchase do please feel free to PM me.

Garit HT is by Toyo. I don't know about the S950.

I am seriously considering the Toyo Observe GO2+ at this point. the GO2+ does not but come in my Legacy stock sizing. The Garit HT does - and Garit KX appears to be slightly better if you want a performance winter tire. The GO2+ is more of a snow/ice tire. You can check out Toyo site online. I prefer to do a "minus one" fitment to drop from 205/55R16 to a 195/65R15 by going to a 15"x6" rim with 5x100 bolt pattern. The overall diameter and rotations per KM are close. The only thing I want to clear up is the offset. The place that will install says they will check the offset with a test install anyway because I am change size.

• 1 month later...
Garit HT is by Toyo. I don't know about the S950.

I am seriously considering the Toyo Observe GO2+ at this point. the GO2+ does not but come in my Legacy stock sizing. The Garit HT does - and Garit KX appears to be slightly better if you want a performance winter tire. The GO2+ is more of a snow/ice tire. You can check out Toyo site online. I prefer to do a "minus one" fitment to drop from 205/55R16 to a 195/65R15 by going to a 15"x6" rim with 5x100 bolt pattern. The overall diameter and rotations per KM are close. The only thing I want to clear up is the offset. The place that will install says they will check the offset with a test install anyway because I am change size.

Well I got tired of lining up at Costco 6am only to get turned away. I went to OK Tire and bought the Toyo Garit Kx for my Subaru. AWESOME tires! You can feel the quality. They are good all around winter tires for ice, snow, slush and pavement. I love them so much I bought a set of four Toyo winter tires for my F150. Those feel awesome too! People say they are mainly good in snow but that is only because they have extra tread depth. Don't be fooled. I have four vehicles. The grip on my Toyos is as good on the ice as the Michelin X-Ice (on my Civic) and better than the Michelin Artic Alpins (on my Avalon). The lateral grip is very good and tread wear is excellent. Did I say you can feel the quality? Guess what my 03 Legacy will be getting for summer tires? Toyo.

Archived