LegacyGT.com

First oil change...

I have an M110 and M108 sitting on my shelf so I compared the two.

The M110 is just a tiny bit smaller than the OEM black oil filter. My cap wrench fits tight (no play at all) on the OEM oil filter but there is play on the M110. Having said that, I would still use it to remove the filter but I wouldn't use it to install it since it might damage the can.

So... the M110 clears the skid...

thanks, mickeyd! im going to have to find a wrench that fits the M110, huh?

my LegacyWagon is a 06 2.5NA special edition, so doesn't have the skids.

but the filter was well under the pipes surrounding it so im sure it will fit

and clear the skid. if the M110's end was sticking out from the pipes,

i could've just wrapped a towel on my channel-lock looking wrench and

gently torqued it down.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh btw, what size is that? I want to pick one up next time

im at the auto parts store.

Why not just take a new filter in with you? I have at least 10 different cap wrenches, and they are NOT all created equal. Slight variations do exist.

Why not just take a new filter in with you? I have at least 10 different cap wrenches, and they are NOT all created equal. Slight variations do exist.

yah, i think im going to need to do that next time! the reason why i want

to use aftermarket filters is because there are some cars that shares the same

filter sizes...so that'll mean i won't have to buy so many filter caps. :lol: (no,

not the real reason).

• 2 months later...

I got an amazon gift certificate and was looking for a cap wrench - do you think this one will fit?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Car-Oil-Filter-Wrench-8in/dp/B0006BIC94/sr=1-25/qid=1167401906/ref=sr_1_25/104-6374008-5184726?ie=UTF8&s=automotive]Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Import Filter Wrench: Automotive[/ame]

Never, ever, EVER tighten an oil filer with a wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I know this is generally good advice, but I always tighten just a little past hand tight with a wrench. Here's a short story why. I'm 45 now and I've been changing oil since I was about 14. Up until I was 24 years old, I always just hand tightened, as my father taught me. I like to drain my oil when the oil is hot, in order to get the most debris and particulates out of it since they will be suspended in hot oil that has been recently circulating. That generally means the engine is still somewhat warm when putting the filter back on. On one occasion after I changed my oil, the next day was much colder than the day I did the work, and the cold caused just enough contraction of the metal block, filter, and gasket that shortly after I drove away that morning the engine became noisy and then the oil light came on. When I pulled over I discovered oil was leaking out of the filter where it attached to the block at an alarming rate. Luckily, not enough engine damage to worry about (especially since it was a lowly GM 2.5L Iron Duke), but I was lucky. That oil light on any car doesn't usually come on until there's just a thimble full of oil left, and most of the time - that's too late. Many people would not have heard the sound, slowed, and been as lucky as I was. So lesson learned, just a little past hand tight for me from then on. (maybe I just have weak hands <g>)

I use to always change warm/hot, but have since switched to cold with synthetics. The synthetics flow well enough cool that it is my belief you actually get more crud out of the engine. Sitting overnight gets more oil in the pan than what you get with changing warm/hot, and oil is thick enough to keep most crud in suspension. Besides, it is much more pleasant to bump into cool exhaust components than hot ones.

Just my $0.02.

It takes too long for it to drain when cold though. I try to catch it when it is still warm...let the car sit for a while with the hood open when returning home, but don't wait for it to get stone cold. If the filter is too hot to touch, no way am I changing it right away.
It is still ugly.

On my '98 OB, I used to drain the oil when it was cold. I just leave the pan under the car for a few hours while I go off and watch something else. It was easy because I didn't have to jack the car up or put it on ramps. I just had to keep the hood up to remind myself not to drive the car.

I change the oil when it's hot now because I have to put the car on ramps. Yes, you can burn yourself very easily.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using synthetic....but the cost is making think about switching back to regular....

If its full syn your stuck you have to keep on using it. if its synthetic blend, then you can change back.

how offen should a turbo legacy change its oil if using full syn oil. I use to own a GTI and would change oil every 5k miles. The subaru maintenance booklet says to change oil every 3k miles on (3.0L only) nothing about turbo legacy. I would love to know so I dont waste my money on oil changes if its not time (you all know what i mean).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where to get a cap wrench that fit the oem filter? I had the dealer changed the oil last time & now I couldn't remove the oil filter. I stopped by pepboy & other several places but couldn't find one that fit.

I got an amazon gift certificate and was looking for a cap wrench - do you think this one will fit?

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Oil-Filter-Wrench-8in/dp/B0006BIC94/sr=1-25/qid=1167401906/ref=sr_1_25/104-6374008-5184726?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

My pepboys had one that fit. Mine has 2 indentations on it so it actually fits two different sizes which are really close to each other.

There is a variation of the one that earthworm has linked. The other one has 3 arms. I believe edmundu has one and he is from NJ.

Did you try motorcycle dealers? Someone posted a P/N for a motorcycle cap wrench that fits.

Anyone know where to get a cap wrench that fit the oem filter? I had the dealer changed the oil last time & now I couldn't remove the oil filter. I stopped by pepboy & other several places but couldn't find one that fit.

Read post #23. Go to a motorcycle shop. Fits perfect.

It is still ugly.

I have been using synthetic....but the cost is making think about switching back to regular....

I used M1 for 3 oil change intervals and went back to a dino/Group III synth blend with no issues. IMO, switching to and from synth isn't a problem.

• 1 month later...
Try German Castrol. Silenced my engine up a noticeable amount when I made the switch and realtively cheap if you buy $100 worth at autozone because they give you like $25 gift certificate.

Any kind of good oil is fine. My experience with synthetic oils is that the motor burns a lot of it up. If you change to synthetic, check your oil often.:) Other than that, its a matter of taste.

I have been using synth. in my car since I bought it. never noticed any issues with it using it up

Nemo me impune lacessit

If you're only going to put 35 - 40k on your Legacy before moving on, why bother with synth; unless you're using it for long drain intervals to cut down on oil changes.

Archived