LegacyGT.com

Brake Issue, non LGT

taskforcefreddy

OK. So my lieutenant tells me she has an isssue with her brakes and that she took her 2003 Toyota Matrix to a brake shop (by herself) and they told her that her brake pads were "glassed over" but that they could "cut" her pads (which they claimed to have another 80,000 miles left on) for $135 or replace the old ones for $110. I'm by no means a George Foreman Meineke technician when it comes to brakes I but have changed the pads and have spun rotors on close to 20 different vehicles. Having said that, I have never heard nor seen such a thing and I'm a little more hard on vehicles/brakes than the average driver as I approach 25,000/year on my vehicles. I plan on changing her brakes and spinning her rotors but has anyone heard of such a thing or should I throw up a BS Flag on this play? Mind you, she's a female driving a Toyota Matrix and I guarantee you the car has never gone beyond 5,000 RPM's or has been on a position that would necessitate extreme braking. Thanks.

Did they mean glazed brake pads! It is a real phenomenon. The pads could have surface cracks, or the car could be vibrating when the brakes are applied. What was your LT's complaint? And I would never trust Mienike:lol:
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Glazing is a real thing.... you dont have to drive to the extremes for this to happen though. If she likes to ride the brakes, etc... this could also result.

Cheapest thing to try first is to take some rough sandpaper to the pad surface and go at it. If they are truly glazed, they will have a mirror like finish to the pad surface... sand that down and youre good to go.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived