LegacyGT.com

The New Miata?

[quote name='eatV8']Yeah, that is pretty much what the next MX-5/Miata will be... There was spy photos of it in one of the magazines a couple of months back, looks just like the RX-8 from the front.[/quote] The hood has to go. They can't put a rotor on the hood...:)
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

As the owner's husband, and frequent driver of a 99 Miata, I am dissapointed. It isn't completely ugly, but it has lost all of it's classic looks, in favor of a more "corporate face" in common with the RX8. Not the same parts, but very similar, and just as odd. I prefer the timeless, more classic lines of the first two generations. I think, for an ideal Miata, I'd stick with an 04 Mazdaspeed Miata with a turbo upgrade, reverted back to the standard bodywork, and 16" wheels (17" look a tad too big on such a small car. Plus some unsprung weight savings.)

This is a chop done based on some actual spy photos. The spy photos themselves show very few details, as the car was heavily masked. A few of the details that are clear are: 1. A smaller "vent" window in the door, as shown in the chop above. 2. A sloped rear deck. 3. A self booting soft top a la the Boxster or MR2 Spyder. 4. Five lug wheels 5. What appears to be a built in roll bar like the S2000 behind the seats. 6. Definitely longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs. Details about the styling are definitely conjecture at this point. The masking showed what looks like RX-8 style headlights in the front, but again it was heavily masked. Mazda has clearly stated that they weren't planning on using the new corporate face on the Miata, so I doubt that this chop is terribly accurate. We'll see.

I believe on the RX-8 forum there was mention Mazda is rumored to make an RX-8 coupe and vert. the spy shots are now split between being the next miata and a future 8 convertible. Some had hinted that the rear shot of one of the spy photos indicated sutt from the tailpipes, a-la a rich running/oil burning engine (rotary??) plausible I guess, although the currnet bodied Miata is due for a facelift again.

Archived