LegacyGT.com

Get some sway re-enforcement!

Spinjockey

So this last weekend I noticed some clunking from the drivers rear when I went over small to medium bumps. Sounded like the spare bouncing around in the well (I put in a full size spare recently). Got out tightened it down some more, drove away. Still there. Got to the mall, parked and found out my rear drivers side sway bar tab broke off!

I'm running the Cobb bars all around with stock struts/springs. I didn't have a breaker bar when I when to install the bars so I didn't put the re-enforcement bracket on when I installed them. I was thinking was Cusco sells bars w/o them, I'll put them on later. (It's on in the pict because I wanted to see if I could band-aid it until fixed.)

Car's never been autox'd/raced and bars were only installed ~3 months ago! Looking at the bracket I'm guessing it was defective such that when they welded the nut on it wasn't correctly annealed.

I'm having a shop weld it back on and put some extra metal stock on as re-enforcement and I'll be using the extra cobb bracket as well. I'll snap some picts of the fix once it's worked out.

braket.jpg.2cb0acf51b60012afd82fc6522fe39c0.jpg

mount.jpg.126e5a5acd0be3527f8411729673f40f.jpg

I'm having trouble with mine too. some deformation, some bending, one side is bent a few degrees forward from vertical. I've also noticed that one side of the car sits a little lower than the other, which I think may be a result of the deformation. I'm thinking I may weld some reinforcements over the stock mounts, maybe some 1/8" steel plate (like the cobb mounts, but attached at the top to keep everything vertical).

The more I think about these flimsy mounts the more I think that firming them up will make a pronounced effect to the sway bar functioning. Has anyone actually done this?

I've also noticed that one side of the car sits a little lower than the other, which I think may be a result of the deformation.

I think that is a common thing. My car is lower on one side but only in the rear. Is yours the same way?

Archived