LegacyGT.com

Stage II with stock UP: experiences?

mele63

I had about 20,000 miles on Cobb stg 2 (shorty downpipe only). It worked fine but spool was a bit lazy and there was some sluggishness in response going from gear to gear.

I recently installed my gutted stock uppipe (had an extra UP from my WRX). The install went well but it's a long day for a first-timer. I loaded a TDC Stg 2 map. The difference with the combo of gutted UP + TDC tune is quite dramatic. The biggest gains are in driveability with much less turbo lag and better spool and there is a significant power bump. The biggest "problem" is that the strong midrange highlights the lack of relative top end so I'm starting to think about turbo upgrades. Not the worst problem in the world to have.

Tom

Hmm maybe an aftermarket uppipe or gutted stock uppipe isn't necessary after all. Yes it would be ideal, but for a noob like me it would be very hard to uninstall and reinstall.

Hmm maybe an aftermarket uppipe or gutted stock uppipe isn't necessary after all. Yes it would be ideal, but for a noob like me it would be very hard to uninstall and reinstall.

i'd do it for piece of mind and you can pick up an up pipe real cheap or gut your stocker. piece of mind and quicker spool up FTW. have someone install it for you. post up...theirs probably someone in your area with experience.

It is a dramatic difference so do it if you can. If you have the basic tools, a garage and the time you can do it. Or, pay someone. A dealer will likely charge you for 4 hours at dealer rates so that will be a bit expensive but there may be another shop in your area that will likely do it for half the price.

Tom

A dealer will likely charge you for 4 hours at dealer rates so that will be a bit expensive but there may be another shop in your area that will likely do it for half the price.

Tom

just make sure the go back and re-torque those up pipe bolts or you could get a leak.

• 2 years later...
I see this thread been sitting a while, and I know I'd get torn up if I started a new one, but anything new as far as mileage used on Stock UP w/ Stage 2? I'm getting ready to run a Turbo XS 2 piece catted DP and a Greddy EVO 2 catback, and installing an AVO tmic. Currently running Stage 1 just with AVO's intake, and it's fine, I could use any input. The only reason I don't have an aftermarket UP having to pay for a wedding, and I've had the pieces laying around, and the future wife wants me to get rid of them, so install time, and 86 the stock stuff, so again any thoughts?

My 2 cents...go with an aftermarket UP. Lose the stock UP altogether. I hear they are a pain in the a** to gut and even if your worried about leaks just pickup one with a flex section. I put a Turbo-XS UP in mine and 15k miles so far without any leaks.

I was thinking about doing it, since I already have the XS DP, and from what I've gathered the flex UP's are a little easier to install, and work well, just from readin up on here. How bad would it be to run my setup for just two months or so, on 53K miles on the car, then after the "big day" pick up a set of headers/UP then? Has anyone actually had the cat in the UP tear up the turbo?

Archived