LegacyGT.com

Need your help, general Subaru shift knob question

CasopoliS

Ok so the momo shift knob for the LGT has the lip for the boot on it. It also has a threaded insert inside (M12 x 1.25?). Will our shift knob fit in other Subarus? With the shift boot lip? Is theread spec / thread depth the same?

I have designed a shift knob for our LGT and want to know what my market is. Thanks guys.

Yea I am seracing around to see what a good Subaru shift knob goes for. Any thoughts on this?

It's lip matches dead on with stock subaru knobs, and it is Delrin which should provide about the weight of stock, but no more hot / cold conditions. Black will be the only colro available. Understanding this, what do you think a knob like this is worth? (pics to come)

I actually sourced the tools to do this. Ladle, torch, etc. Just need to decide whether to do real lead (hazardous), or something like tin they sell at hobby shops. My Solberg knob has a plastic insert for teh threading and boot retention. Take it out, cut it down a bit, and fill the top with lead/tin, then reinsert the plastic piece with some cyanoacrylate to hold it in place.

We will see about the weight. I think I like the stock weight, but want more feedback from the gears. Delrin should provide this without worrying about hot / cold situations. It would be tough to put a slug of material in - the entire knob is made in two steps.

I would be below the $50 mark for a GB probably. Closer to kartboy pricing, but not made out of aluminum. Delrin is a more expensive material but I think has more 'pros' than other materials.

A Delrin knob GB was on nabisco and they sold for $55 and I am not sure if that included shipping. That knob did NOT have the lip for the boot.

I assume the blank is shaped outside, then inside (meaning no compled internal shape). Not sure of the density or heat tolerance of Delrin, but you could use the same techniqe I mentioned above (just design in extra space above where the threads need to be)

Material

Delrin

Plain Back

Shape

Rod Length

Cut-to-Length

Maximum Continuous Length - 5'

Diameter - 2"

Opaque

Black

Operating Temperature Range

-40° to +185° F

Performance Characteristic

High Tensile Strength and Flame Retardant

Tensile Strength

10,000 psi

Impact Strength

2.3 ft.-lbs./in.

Tolerance

Standard

Hardness

Rockwell R: 120

Specifications Met

Underwriters Laboratories (UL)

UL Rating

UL 94HB

The one on the far left is my design.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5503/shiftknobspp6.jpg

melting point is what I'm asking about, though a foot long black shift knob would be an interesting gag gift. <plots a dastardly plan> :lol:

I thought about using a beer handle like this would be cool :icon_cool

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/61/e6/b7_1.JPG

only a good beer :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived