LegacyGT.com

Outback Basic 16" steel wheels for winter

baj

The silver-painted 16" steelies on the new '07 Outback 2.5i Basic look to me like a dandy choice for winter tires. Does anybody know how much these things cost? Unfortunately since they are new this year I expect the only way to get them is from a dealership.

Or, maybe a smarter question: how do I find out if wheels from some other Subaru model/year will fit my car? Bolt pattern, offset, centerbore, etc? I imagine some other Subaru 16" wheels could be had for a lot less than the new '07 Outback ones, but I don't know what fits what (I'm new to Subaru, but I know for instance that 15" WV Passat wheels are not the same as 15" VW Jetta/Golf wheels).

Or, maybe a smarter question: how do I find out if wheels from some other Subaru model/year will fit my car? Bolt pattern, offset, centerbore, etc? I imagine some other Subaru 16" wheels could be had for a lot less than the new '07 Outback ones, but I don't know what fits what (I'm new to Subaru, but I know for instance that 15" WV Passat wheels are not the same as 15" VW Jetta/Golf wheels).

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thanks! That is a useful page.

So, it looks like the Outback wheels (and the 2003 Forester X steel wheels, which look suspiciously similar) have 48mm offset, while my Legacy's wheels have 55mm offset. Is this difference enough to worry about? The wheels are not the same width, but tire width would be the same in both cases.

I would have thought that the distance between the left and right hub faces would be the same on the Legacy and Outback, so I was a bit surprised that the offsets are different. But maybe the Outback's wheel well mouldings are the reason (wider body -> wider track).

I second the recommendation on getting used WRX rims. Look over on NASIOC.com especially on the local forums classifieds.

I have a 04 WRX and was able to obtain a set of 2002 WRX Rims with 2002 vintage Nokian NRW winter tires (used one season) in 2005 for $250. I just had to drive <1 hr to pickup.

If you're looking for OEM wheels, check these guys out:

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/

When we had our 2002 Outback, we bought some 2004 OEM split-spoke 16" wheels off eBay and put summer tires on those wheels, and put the snow tires on the stock 2002 Outback wheels.

When we traded in that car on the 2005 XT, we left the 2002 wheels/snow tires at home, and used them on the XT last winter.

Getting a second set of alloys isn't that expensive, and it looks a lot better than steelies.

828095317_2002Wheel.jpg.54f81283300bd69f31dce9854adfc959.jpg

1036883883_2004Wheel.jpg.b4a5344f3115449cf9e7c4fab7cf2ff5.jpg

Thanks! That is a useful page.

So, it looks like the Outback wheels (and the 2003 Forester X steel wheels, which look suspiciously similar) have 48mm offset, while my Legacy's wheels have 55mm offset. Is this difference enough to worry about? The wheels are not the same width, but tire width would be the same in both cases.

I would have thought that the distance between the left and right hub faces would be the same on the Legacy and Outback, so I was a bit surprised that the offsets are different. But maybe the Outback's wheel well mouldings are the reason (wider body -> wider track).

Usually the offset is different on different width rims.

I've gotten all kinds of great deals on eBay. 4 OEM alloy 16" Acura rims (for an Accord) $282 delivered. 4 Nissan 17" rims $255 delivered. 15" alloy for my old OBW - $40. etc. I also set an automated search to watch for them on craigslist.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived