LegacyGT.com

Tire dressing shiite splattered

Driver72

up under and on the lower fairings, how do I get off? Okay, a couple days ago, I took delivery of my Silver 2005 LGT Limted sedan. Of course the dealership detailed it all up nicely, and they put that oil based tire shitte all over the tires so they "shine" nicely. Problem is...like I've experienced before, it splatters up once you drive. Of course, this wasn't the first thing I was thinking of, when I drove the car before I signed the paperwork. But before I drove it home, I asked the sales guy for a rag because I wanted to wipe as much as that stuff off as possible. I brought her home a few days ago and haven't really driven it since (waiting to get the clear bra put on tomorrow). But while looking over the car again this morning, I noticed a bunch of that oil shitte from the tires had already splattered around the wheel wells and a bit on the side of the lower fairings. I go to wipe it off with a cloth and noticed it had "burned" impressions (yellowish tar color) into the wheel well paint and a bit on the side. I try Meguiar's Detail polish and Quick detailer, but it won't come off. Needless to say, I'm a bit peeved. Sure it's way down low and mostly on the edge of the wheel well, but it shouldn't be there PERIOD! Can this be removed with something, and what should I make the dealer do if it won't come off. They've gotten know it does this but they continue to use that oil based tire stuff. Sorry so long...I'm obviously a bit peeved!

I don't know about toothpaste, but a few service reps I spoke with at my local dealer and a body shop claim the stuff isn't coming off, period. I have the same stains around wheel wells on my white LGT. I also never did scrutinize the wheel wells at delivery. Shame on me I guess. The stains are only present on the plastic bumper cover, none on finish over metal. There was another thread about this a while ago with photos. It seems resolution depends on how committed the dealer is to keeping you a happy customer. I've had poor luck so far. Subaru customer service quoted a solution: wait 60-90 days for the stains to weather - surely they're just water-based tire dressing mixed with brake dust. I'm coming up on 60 days soon! The suspense is killing me, ...well not really. I'll wait and see.

Whouldn't toothpaste be sort of a "polishing compound"? Is ther supposed to be an ingredient in the average toothpaste that cleans this stuff? If it's just the abrasive action of the toothpaste doing the work, an automotive paint cleaner might be a good option instead!

Thanks guys. My Subaru dealer said to bring it in and he'll have the detail guys look at it and do what they can to take it off. If they can't, well looks like I'll push for the arm rest extension that's now available for FREE! Thanks for the tip on that automotive paint cleaner too. That might come in handy for other things.

yeah, it's funny, when I told the sales manager about it, he said he's never had anyone ever complain about it or notice it before. I'm sure most of you have it, it's just most people don't look at the lower part of their bumper covers and wheel wells close enough to notice. The dark colored cars probably can't see it. But this is the EXACT reason why when I get my car detailed, I tell them no tire dressing, it ruins paint jobs!

[quote name='Driver72']Thanks guys. My Subaru dealer said to bring it in and he'll have the detail guys look at it and do what they can to take it off. If they can't, well looks like I'll push for the arm rest extension that's now available for FREE! Thanks for the tip on that automotive paint cleaner too. That might come in handy for other things.[/quote] How is it that the armrest extension is free now?

It's not, but if they can't get the splatter stains off from my wheel wells, I'll bitch so they wil give me the free armrest extension. I ordered it on my car, but they weren't being made yet (apparently). I just spoke to them today and they have black ones now. My interior is black, so that's good. But my point....knowing the oil based shitte splatters up on the wheel wells and a bit on the lower part of the bumper cover, dealers should NOT be using it. It damages and discolors the paint, so if they can't correct it, they must make amends...hence free arm rest extension. I'd prefer it to come off and just pay for the armrest extension however, but just in case it won't come off, I'm not going to roll over and accept it. I will be politically firm in my requests.

It's really just a matter of using too much tire dressing and either not buffing off the excess or allowing it the time to dry. Relax, I seriously doubt that you have any permanent paint damage. Any old polish will remove the stains. There is not need to use anything aggressive. A simple over the counter cleaner wax such as Mother's California Gold Original Formula Cleaner Wax or Meguirs' Cleaner Wax should take care of it. There are many more specialized products that might be maginally better (I have a bunch of them), but the aforementioned two should work fine for you.

I'm actually in Saugus. Moved from Valencia about 6 months ago when I bought a house in Saugus. I've got a SWP GT LTD sedan. Funny, I thought I was the only guy in the SCV with an LGT then I go to America's Tire to get rubber for my new wheels and the manager there has a silver LGT, and then you pop up out here too. What part of town are you in? Hey if you are really having problems with the stains in your paint, and T.O. Mazda/Subaru won't take care of it, swing by and I'll try what I have on it.

[quote name='Boostjunkie']I'm actually in Saugus. Moved from Valencia about 6 months ago when I bought a house in Saugus. I've got a SWP GT LTD sedan. Funny, I thought I was the only guy in the SCV with an LGT then I go to America's Tire to get rubber for my new wheels and the manager there has a silver LGT, and then you pop up out here too. What part of town are you in? Hey if you are really having problems with the stains in your paint, and T.O. Mazda/Subaru won't take care of it, swing by and I'll try what I have on it.[/quote] Will do, I'm going to TO Subaru on Friday, I'll see what they can do. Did you get my PM? Heard you got 19's!

Archived