LegacyGT.com

Hardened shifter bushings

I recently purchased the Cobb Stage 1 Drivetrain Kit which is just their tranny mount, adjustable shifter, and hardened bushings sold at a savings of... either $5 or $10, I forget.

I then realized that the Cobb bushings are just the front pair, and there are rear bushings as well, so I just recently ordered the Kartboy rear shifter bushings. I also ordered Kartboy transmission cross-member bushings and rear diff. bushings since I figured they'll be messing with the tranny anyway, so go for the cross-member as well.

I read that you need a jackstand to install the rear bushings, but I'm just gonna pay for someone to install all my stuff for me anyway.

How hard to install?

Not hard, as I recall there's just one 10mm (12mm?) nut you have to remove from a metal plate that covers the bushing where it's anchored on a pin. The bushing and sleeve that the shifter "stay" is attached to comes off that pin - after some effort you can get the old bushing out with your fingers (just keep working it out), then the two-piece Cobb hardened bushing pops in place - one half over the pin, then the sleeve over the half that's on the pin, then the other half onto the sleeve, then the metal plate goes back in place, then the nut goes back on and you're all done. Sorry, I didn't take pics :(

I don't see a walkthrough for this, though I bet Cobb would be happy to send you installation instructions before you buy.

--

Oops I lied, here's a walkthrough that includes removing the shifter bushings:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16708

can you install hardened bushings without a STS and vice versa?

Also, any negative things about either?

Thanks.

Yes. Get a STS from kartboy or Cobb. They replace the lever itself and is installed from the inside of the car. The bushes are installed from underneath, and are separate from the lever. If you are going to do the bushings, I'd do the front and rear. Should not take more than an hour if you do it yourself.

No negatives to either. The lever will shorten the throws. The bushings will change the feel as you change from gear to gear.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Also, any negative things about either?

I wouldn't go so far as to say "nothing negative." ;)

With the bushings, especially, as they are more "solid" than the factory parts, you will get a bit more NVH transmitted inside the cabin. Usually, this is noted as either felt or "seen" vibrations in the stick.

If you're really, really sensitive to noise/vibration, though, you may even notice a small "audible vibration" inside the cabin - but this is usually limited only to idle, as normal road/wind-noise will easily cancel-out this minor noise as soon as the vehicle's in-motion.

----

As for shorter throws, most will report that it's an overall improvement - however, keep in mind that as you combine shorter throw distances with a shorter physical stalk-length, you might run into problems actually physically getting the lever in the right gear. Many an "ultra-short" driver have missed shifts due to this reason, but typically, unless you go to ridiculous lengths (or is it rather an absence of length?), this isn't an issue.

----

Finally, remember that "feel" is completely subjective from one person to the next.

What one person feels is a more "direct" shift-action may feel overly "notchy" to the next, and there's no way to quantify that.

Such a complaint has been noted of the bushing installs - but whether you'll be on one side of the equation or the other depends totally on what *your* unique right hand tells your unique brain. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

the ONLY negative thing of installing hardened bushings is that you'll be hearing noise from the tranny now. or something like that... it just wont be quiet anymore. but then agian... with all the moddings you've already probably done... your car is anything BUT quiet. so mod away!

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

the ONLY negative thing of installing hardened bushings is that you'll be hearing noise from the tranny now. or something like that...

Hmmm. I hope they don't add too much noise. The quiet ride is one of the things I really like about the LGT. I suppose I can always go back to stock if I don't like the hardened bushings.

also, to reduce the noise in the cabin I recommend the following:

1. get a scrap piece of Dynamat or similar acoustic dampening material that is self-adhesive. Apply 1-2 layers to the STS shaft. This changes the harmonic frequency transmission of the material (reduces high freq. resonances).

2. Use the OEM shift knob. It weighs more and has built in dampening from the factory to reduce NVH too. It will work fine with Kartboys STS lever. Can't say for other mfgs though.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived