LegacyGT.com

Handling Problem - tire pressure or something else?

direavenger

I just had 4 new Avon Tech m550's mounted and balanced last week and I noticed something on my ride home last night. When I jerked the wheel to one side to avoid a large piece of blown-out tire rubber, my front end was slow to respond, and my rear end seemed to follow the front and swing into place very slowly. This was at roughly 70mph with all of the tires inflated (by the tire guy) to 40psi. The max inflating pressure for these tires is 44psi. I had never noticed this with my stock RE92's, but I ran them at a lower pressure (37f/35r). These are also brand new tires (~200mi on them). Is this a break-in period thing, or are my tire pressures too high?
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

When you purchase new tires, they still have mould release chemicals on them. These make the tires slippery until they wear off the tread which might take a few hundred miles or several hundred, depending on how you drive. The tires won't have full grip until it's gone. So be careful for the first 300-500 miles, just to be safe.

dry grip does get better with lower tread...just a matter of more of the rubber in the contact patch "seeing" the road. But this is in exchange for being very spooky in the rain...

I need to correct that statement..........they're downright dangerous in the rain:icon_bigg

i just put some 245/45-17 550's on my car i have about 400miles on mine and they are still getting better i am running 36/34 f/r it rides smooth and grips really well for a street, all season compromise tire. they will get better trust me

i just put some 245/45-17 550's on my car i have about 400miles on mine and they are still getting better i am running 36/34 f/r it rides smooth and grips really well for a street, all season compromise tire. they will get better trust me

It's getting better already. I have about 100 more miles than when I first posted, and most of the issues have subsided. It still feel a little wiggly, but what you guys have said has been mosy comforting. Thanks!

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

they will still be squishy they are a true all season but like i said it is a fairly good compromise. you will get used to them and learn to predict their behavior better the longer you drive them. play with your pressures and check them regularly and you should be good

Archived