LegacyGT.com

Today's Autocross on MXs

Prod

Well, today was my first time autoxing on the Kuhmo MXs. The R's had a lot more grip than I appreciated them for. Anyways, holding a proper racing line without looking like I was in a drift* competition, I put down a 69.xx. Drift competition style netted me a 66.3. I had a friend who's a really experienced driver take it for a spin and he got a 64.xx on his second run. He also did it drift competition style. It seems that there's no way to hold a proper racing line that's faster than just powering through everything and letting the AWD dig me out of any holes I get myself into. With the R's I could somewhat hold a line. The nice thing about the Kuhmos is that they're very graceful in a drift. *I use the term drift to indicate an all-wheel drift in which the entire car is gracefully sliding sideways, without understeer or oversteer. It's actually a lot of fun, and amazingly easy to control. Subie AWD FTW! :D

The course was rather annoying. It had 3 hairpins which were a royal pain, and then really annoying gates after 2 of the hairpins. I lost a lot of time in those hairpins.

Approximate course map:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Prod238/sept17course.jpg

The finish (blue) is actually closer the the grid (bottom).

To sum up how I take slaloms:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Prod238/awdrift.jpg

Basically the car just slides diagonally sideways and doesn't change orientation much. I did this on R-comps too, but it's a lot easier to control on streets. The steering inputs are approximate, but because of all the body roll and weight transfer I have to lead changes in direction by a huge margin.

In other news the Kuhmos won't last very long with all this sliding. I'm going to finish of the season Oct. 1st, and then if all goes according to plan, I won't autox the Legacy again (except now and then when I want to just have some fun).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Prod238/RX-7/023.jpg

what you are referring to isnt really drifting, rather it's called neutral steering.. the car is sliding, but you dont need to countersteer, you are only steering for the upcoming things ahead.

For your slaloms, you can go much faster if your back tires are running over the back of the cone's base.. you need to get the car to swing the rear end around the cones while the front half of the car keeps a tighter line.. this will allow you to clear the cones safely and in a faster manner...

You can still "drift" on r-compounds, you just need to balance the grip of the rears vs the fronts using the brakes or off-throttle steering more.

Keefe

what you are referring to isnt really drifting, rather it's called neutral steering.. the car is sliding, but you dont need to countersteer, you are only steering for the upcoming things ahead.

For your slaloms, you can go much faster if your back tires are running over the back of the cone's base.. you need to get the car to swing the rear end around the cones while the front half of the car keeps a tighter line.. this will allow you to clear the cones safely and in a faster manner...

You can still "drift" on r-compounds, you just need to balance the grip of the rears vs the fronts using the brakes or off-throttle steering more.

Ah ok, I'll give that a shot next time. I wasn't losing that much time in the slaloms, it was the hairpins that were destroying me.

depending on how the hair pins are, you'll have to analyze if the turn is an increasing or decreasing radius curve.. if the hairpin is looks like it's a geometric turn, then most likely you can go through it without any problems by applying the out-in-out method and you should be hitting that inside cone... decreasing radius means you gotta be patient and wait for the last 15 feet to turn in.. while increasing you can just nail the gas and allow the car to just plow naturally.

Im not sure which end is the start, but I can tell you that either end you start off from you can make a good use that those hairpins can be taken as a decreasing radius turns and that will make your life soo much easier.. you are basically pinching yourself off too much.

Keefe

Archived