LegacyGT.com

Chipped paint

I took a 1-2" square chunk out of the paint on my side mirrior using a puny power washer I bought and have been using for about a year know. I am so mad, I can't believe Subaru paint is this bad. I've used that power washer dozens of times, with the nozzle closer and more concentrated and now this. Grrr! :confused:. So my question is this. If I pick up some touch-up paint what's the best way to apply it? Are there any walkthroughs on this?

Touch up paint is best used for small chips. When you are dealing with a patch as large as what you have, touch up paint won't really look that good. Patches like that need to be airbrushed to blend in with the rest of the surface. If you use touch up paint then it is going to always be a large patch of mismatched color. No matter how good the color match is, you are going to have to apply it much thicker than the rest of the paint and it will always be darker.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I took a 1-2" square chunk out of the paint on my side mirrior using a puny power washer I bought and have been using for about a year know. I am so mad, I can't believe Subaru paint is this bad. I've used that power washer dozens of times, with the nozzle closer and more concentrated and now this. Grrr! :confused:. So my question is this. If I pick up some touch-up paint what's the best way to apply it? Are there any walkthroughs on this?

sorry to hear.. but it sounds like it's better to have the whole side mirror

painted.

I've had my OBP LGT since March. I discovered three paint chips when I last washed the car. I've never had a car chip before. I have an appointment on October 5th with one of Subaru's factory reps to check this out.

Keep you posted.

Cheers!

I've had my OBP LGT since March. I discovered three paint chips when I last washed the car. I've never had a car chip before. I have an appointment on October 5th with one of Subaru's factory reps to check this out.

Keep you posted.

Cheers!

Wow, you've never had a car chip before? Where do you live, the land of marshmallows?

Every car I've ever owned has had paint chips from flying rocks, pebbles, etc.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Wow, you've never had a car chip before? Where do you live, the land of marshmallows?

Every car I've ever owned has had paint chips from flying rocks, pebbles, etc.

We prefer to call it "Imaginationland." :)

Mental note: Post only when sober.

What I was referring to was flaking paint on my OBP LGT not due to road shrapnel.

Factory rep will check the car in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Grrrr...

Makes me more angry every time I look at the picture. On a lighter note, I look like a white fat albert in that pic.

My guess is there was some "shmear" on the mirror before they painted it, and the paint didn't adhere for the cure.

Have them replace the mirror and skip the re-paint.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

If they don't fix it under warranty, just rattle can it. The whole mirror isn't that big and you should be able to get a very passable job. If you PAY to have it professionally painted, I can't guarantee you will get t-boned on that side within 2 weeks.
It is still ugly.

• 3 weeks later...

What I was referring to was flaking paint on my OBP LGT not due to road shrapnel.

Factory rep will check the car in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

I had my car looked at by Subaru's regional Service Manager. He agreed that the chips were not normal.

He's authorized the body shop to fix the chips.

Cheers!

Archived