LegacyGT.com

Full Audio Install Soon

praedet

Well, it won’t be going into a Legacy, but I am very stoked because I am going to be installing the following stuff in my wife’s car (97 SE-R) over the course of the next few weeks. :D

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9857

Amp: Alpine PDX-4.150

Front Speakers: Focal 165A1

Rear Speaker: Focal 165CA

Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W3 V2 D4

Dampening: 2 Rolls of RAAMmat BXT

Attenuation: 5 yards of Ensolite

The sub will be in a custom fiberglass box, the front components will be driven by the front channels of the amp, the rear coaxs will be driven buy the headunit, and the sub will receive the bridged rear channels of the amp (300ish RMS)

This should be fun :icon_cool

I will try and put up pics as it is done...

Ted

:spin:

I will!

I found a local Suby guy that has been doing audio installs and competing for about 10 years. He is going to be helping me with the install, including creating the fiberglass box, for free :D

My only worry is that this will make me want to work on the Wagon :lol:

Ted

^^^I do :D

Well, this was the first car I bought and paid for, so I would like to keep it for my kids...

The big thing right now is to cut down on some road and exhaust noise. The stereo I had done 8 years ago was starting to go, so I decided to do it right...

Plus I got some good deals :D

I rip out the interior this weekend :spin:

Ted

Right on, It's going to sound awesome! I hope your wife enjoys it.

Been looking at the PDX 4.150, thinking it will fit under the passenger seat perfectly. Going to have to take some measurements to find out unless you would be so kind to as to try a test fit? :)

Mixed mono on the rear would be interesting...

Well, sadly, I forgot to take pictures :(

Friday night I ripped out the interior (bare metal except for the dash and the 2 doors). Saturday we started at 9 am and put in roughly 105 sq ft of RAAMmat (dynamat extreme equivalent) and 3.5 yards of Ensolite. (sound attenuating foam) We also installed the rear speakers, the Alpine HU, and the wiring. Stopped for the night at 3AM :lol:

Sunday I finished up what was left in the trunk with the last 17 sqft of mat and another yard of Ensolite. :D

I just ordered another half roll of mat and 2 yards of Ensolite so I can do the doors and double up on the trunk...

This weekend we will do the fiberglass enclosure for the sub, mat the doors, install the components in the front, and mount the amp and cross-overs :D

I don't know that I will ever do this crazy of an install again. Fun, but long...

2500 lb car with over 150 sq ft of dampening material, and roughly 100 sq ft of attenuation :lol: It is quiet though :D

Ted

• 5 weeks later...

All right, finally some photos. The system was finished and running about 2 weeks ago, but I still have to fabricate a "cover" for the amp, so I haven't taken pics of that yet...

The goal was to look as stock as possible with great sound. In the front doors we took out older JBL 2-ways and put in Focal 165A1 components...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Maries%20Car/Stereo/FocalComponents2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Maries%20Car/Stereo/FocalComponents3.jpg

Pretty stock looking and it sounds AMAZING :D

Next, there is a single JL Audio 10W3V3 in a fiberglass enclosure...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Maries%20Car/Stereo/JLSubBox1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Maries%20Car/Stereo/JLSubBox2.jpg

The rear speakers are in the deck and are just the Focal 165CA 2-ways...

The front components receive 150 watts each off the Alpine PDX-4.150, the rears are driven by the deck, and the sub gets the other 300 watts from the Alpine amp.

I installed 170 sq. ft. of dampening material and another 110 sq ft of sound attenuation foam. :D

Overall, I am extremely happy with the sound, as is my wife. I am amazed at the mid bass from the components w/ 150 watts pushing them, especially with all the dampening I did. They can easily overpower the single 10 if tuned incorrectly :lol:

Sadly, it will probably make me do an install in my car sometime soon :D

I will just limit dampening and sound attenuation to the doors and wagon floor instead of ripping out the entire interior as the LGT is already better damped through the floor...

Ted

Loving the Focals. Fell in love with them when I first heard JM-lab home speakers. Best tweeters I have ever heard that cost less then my house. I am funny though, most people need about 3-7 dbs to begin hearing (in the 1K range) and I can hear -1 db in my left ear and 1 db in my right. Guess that is why I use to be sound-Q judge at IASCA.

I used almost one roll of dynamat Xtreme in my LGT sedan and the car is very solid now, doors sound like a Benz!

Lookin forward to your LGT audio install.

Archived