LegacyGT.com

Opinopns on SOAP /WAX

RoundBoy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtguy']Hey, where the Griot's stuff at? :lol:[/quote] :D I didn't happen to have any. Tell you what, send me a sample and I'll test it on the trunk. Just don't tell my Wife! She took this test in stride but I think she's going to get anxious if I start testing products all over the place!

[quote name='RoundBoy']So.. what is the 'full' zaino system ? z-1,z-2 /z-5 , z-6 ?? How long does it take to do the whole car this way?[/quote] The hardest part for me has always been the washing & claying process. I'm anal about most things and I will get about 6 inches away from the paint and look for a speck of tar or dirt and clay most panels 1 to 2 times to be sure that I got it all. I'll lay down on a creeper and inspect all of the door panels down low and stuff. It's really silly but I still do it. One of the nicest things about Zaino on a sunny day is that you can apply it [b]in the sun[/b] and dramatically reduce any drying times. I give it 30 minutes to dry when it's not in the sun. That's overkill, but I've done it. Even sun dried for an hour or so, the stuff just wipes off. On to the "system". Lets see. I'm looking at the website now. [url]http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino[/url] Let me preface this by saying that their ZKIT-1 package for $85 is really a good choice if you need a claybar, ZFX, Z2 AND Z5, Car Wash, applicators, etc. I'd suggest getting the Z-16 Tire stuff additionally! It's saying on the website that the new ZFX essentially replaces Z-1 and is an improvement over Z-1. I haven't seen ZFX in action so I can't really comment on this. I can tell you that applying Z-1 is just like applying any paste but it's smoother. One of the secrets with any product is to apply with front-to-back strokes on top surfaces like the hood, roof, and trunk, and apply with top-to-bottom strokes on all side surfaces. Small top areas such as bumpers and mirrors can be done as a side surface. A person can do a whole car with Z-1 in 10-15 minutes. By the time you are done, the car is usually half dry if the humidity isn't high. [u]You don't have to wipe off Z-1.[/u] For our finishes, Z-2 is the next product (unless you are trying to get rid of swirl marks in which case you would use Z-5) to apply. It's going to be identical to applying Z-1 except it will be a little easier since the Z-1's already there. Use the same directional strokes. Again, unless the humidity is high, the Z2/Z5 is already dry where you started by the time you've done the whole car. I usually go get a drink and relax a few minutes to let the whole car dry. It's easy to test if it's dry. Wipe a small spot with your finger. If it smears, it's not dry. If it wipes clean with no residue, it's ready. Wipe it with a clean 100% cotton towel. At this point you could stop and leave it at that, or you could do another coat of Z2. I always do at least two coats because it's fun to see the extra shine come out. It's just as easy to do the subsequent applications. Wipe off with the towel in-between after it's dry. The Z-6 is just a spray that you spray on and wipe off. It helps repel static and cleans the new surface one final time. 5-10 minutes for this. Try it on your mirrors and instrument cluster too! (Spray a towel and wipe them) A person could do a Z-1, Z2/Z5, Z6 job in a couple of hours easily without rushing. I know that I've spent more time and effort removing dried common waxes from cars in the past. [i]After reading more of the website, I believe that my experiences with drying times might be faster because of the low humidty here in Denver, CO. Drying times at sea-level are probably going to be longer. Refer to the website to get an idea.[/i] Strangly, I will do the entire process over every 6-8 months. I'll "dawn-wash", clay, apply Z-1, etc. even though I don't have to. You should be able to just do Z-2 every few months and never do ZFX/Z-1 again. I think sometimes it's a case of me using a wax stripping product like WD-40 to remove melted rubber from being at the track or something like that. In any case, I need to stop fighting the process I guess. With a job like this you will use at most 1/16th of these bottles for each coat. It appears that the website is stating that you'd use about 1/20th so I might be applying it a little thick. You can really go overboard with this stuff. I know guys that have done 5-6 coats and spend all weekend on it! I also take the wheels off and clean them inside and out and Zaino them. It really helps to keep the caustic brake dust from getting to the clearcoat. I apply the Z-16 Tire product with a sponge while the wheels are laying flat. Anyway, it looks like I will need to place another order myself. I've about used up my Meguiar's clay. My Z-1 bottle is cracked and it's drying out, I've got 4 bottles of Z-2 but I'm low on Z-6 and I never had any Z-5. I'm going to need more Z-16 one of these days. If I were you guys I'd stay away from the Z-12 Glass Polish. The bottle I tried just didn't make glass cleaning easier for me. It dried to a powder that got all over everything as I wiped it off. I hope this information helps! :)

helps a lot! I ended up getting some meguiar's nxt, and I am happy with the results... but I do notice some very fine swirl marks.. With the onset of winter.. I don't think I will be doing anything do drastic intil the spring / summer.. but I am really considering getting the zanio system and going all out.. 2 hrs every 6-8 months is okay by me... I took a couple hours this weekend washing / waxing anyway... I have other stuff that i love on my windows & tires... no ned to get anything else :) looking at the site... i think that adding the individual products are only $3 off the basic 'kit'.. wondering about savings there.. i am going to avoid the glass cleaners/ leather cleaners, etc.. I am very wary about using anything on my dash and especially my seats... don't want anything too harsh on them.. warm, slightly soapy water in a well wrung rag washes my dash and seats and sidepanels VERY well...

[quote name='STG']After going through all that trouble, I had hoped to see an up close "reflection shot. Preferably with the sun centered on the line between products. Like this:[/quote] I took 5 of those but the camera just didn't do well with it and all I ended up with was overexposed shots. It's a really cheap digital camera with a fixed lens that my daughter uses. I was rather disappointed to see how many didn't come out well. You can see hints of this problem in the shots I did post. I will probably take my video camera to it next time. I usually get good screen captures from it. I just didn't want to risk getting it wet with all of the west tests.

Does anyone have any experience with a product called "liquid glass"? I have used it, and been pleasantly surprised by the shine, and the durability of the product. twice a year application, and it is a paint sealant, rather than a wax. Sounds like a much simpler product than Zaino, but perhaps not as shiny. It is getting to be that time of year again, for the pre-winter oil change and detail. The Truck is getting new tires this week, but the miata will be getting it's winter steelies and marginal snow tires in a month or two. Fun Fun. can barely wait to do that on a Legacy.

Archived