LegacyGT.com

Window Motor Installation (w/pics)

can anyone who has done this comment on how much they think this whole motor and raise/lower assembly weighs? No longer need working windows in my two rear doors now that the wagon is full time track car. Was thinking about gutting these parts and permanently fixing the windows in the up position via something lighter, i.e.- fabbing up a simple aluminum bracket of some sort. Wondering how much weight I can drop per door...

can anyone who has done this comment on how much they think this whole motor and raise/lower assembly weighs? door...

2 pounds per door for the guts, maybe 2.5 if you're lucky and get every last bolt and bracket out of there you can.

Wow old but amazing post. Using the FSM this is a half day project and a pain to get everything back together properly. This thread whittled it down to about 20mins for me. Zenstorm321's post sums it up nicely. But to make it even easier:

-step 6 before step 4. hold the new motor up over the door to get oriented and see where the phillips screws are.

-as noted by others above, it's not necessary to remove the "2 nuts circled in blue" in step 5. Just do step 4 and then you can wiggle the window motor out and the new one back in. Once you get it mostly in place, just jiggle it around to get the motor centered in the hole and the phillips screws back in. If you have trouble you can jiggle the motor while briefly pressing the window switch to help the gear engage.

Doing it this way, nothing even falls out of place and everything stays mostly lined up.

amazing!

• 1 month later...

Bumping again.

I took my door card off today to see why my driver front window isn't working, and discovered that the window motor disconnected from the up/down gear wheel.

I can move the window motor into place and the window will work, but unless I'm physically holding the motor in place it won't stay where it belongs. It has a good bit of movement, but it looks like all three bolts are in place.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Great thread and I am resurrecting it again! I have an 05 Outback wagon that the driver's window is stuck in the up position. Can I replace the motor only with it up or does the glass and regulator have to be removed as well? How do I know if the regulator needs to be replaced?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I changed out the motor today and although it was a PITA, it went well. or so I thought. The window will roll down smoothly but When it gets to the top couple of inches it gets stuck. Seems like it’s jamming at the rubber corner in the front part, almost like it’s not lined up correctly. Anyone have any thoughts before I undo the whole damn thing again?

Check that the window is fully in the track . Same thing happened to me because I didnt get the window back in the track on both sides. If you look at where window contacts the top weather seals it will look like it's off.

Found my error: Since I didn’t have any clamps I let the window come down and in the process it came out of the vertical track. I had to unbolt the whole assembly to get it back in the track. Once it was back in the track I put one bolt back in and used the window switch to line up the rest. Thanks for the advice, pointed me in the right direction.

• 2 months later...

Yo,

There is a much easier way to do this. You don’t have to remove the regulator, it’s a 5 minute job once the door card is off, here’s what I did.

1. Remove door card, speaker & peel plastic back

2. Unplug window motor

3. Remove 3 screws on window motor

4. Out of the 4 screws on the regulator, loosen the bottom two & remove the top two (the screw on the bottom closest to the motor I actually replaced with a longer screw)

5. Pry the regulator away from the inner door with a knife (run the knife along the bottom between the 2 loosened screws). The window motor will loosen and separate from the regulator

6. Pull out the old motor and slide in the new motor. After getting the new motor in place, I stuffed a buffing pad through the hole in front of the motor to hold it in place so I could easily put the 3 screws back in

7. Next, the regulator screws go back in, then plug in the motor

8. Done! Time to test :)

The glass never moved down during the repair. The hardest part for me was putting the door card back on haha. Only cost me $40 for the window motor from a wreckers on eBay..

Good luck :)

Archived