LegacyGT.com

It can be done again.

tommypenguin

After reading about how to install a double din screen for the past couple weeks, I have invested about 20 hours of time into dremeling the plastic behind the cubby out, dremeling the dash to be a tad bit wider to fit the screen, and installed my hifonics amp and 10" type r sub and did all of the tedious wiring of course. The dash piece that goes around the screen isn't back on yet because i need to use some different brackets or cut my current ones to be out of the way of the vents but after getting everything powered up, I am impressed. It has been a ton of work but its almost done, i just need to build a bandpass box for my sub, not happy with the sealed box i got it in from my friend, need that rolling bass. But besides that its turned out quite nice. I will get some pics up this week.

I figured if anybody had any questions about how to do this install, they can definitely ask me. I even wrote down which colored wires on the stereo harness corresponds to which speaker. This may have already been answered in another thread but you never know, I'm new to these forums, just trying to lend a hand if somebody needs one. I hope I'll get some pics up this week, Its pretty ironic, I have a tv in my car but I don't have a camera on my phone, i obviously don't care about my phone that much. Only beef with my install I need to figure out where I will put my trip computer, doing the AVO trim piece is a bit expensive, does anybody have suggestions?

Nice thread title.:lol:

The AVO bracket, while not cheap, is OEM fit and finish and takes about 5 minutes to install. Unless your are handy with the bondo and paint, it's really a no brainer, IMO. My installer even commented that he could not have made something as OEM looking for less than what I paid AVO.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I guess, Avo is what it will have to be, were the wires long enough to reach to the where the AVO relocator kit moves it, I saw there is one bracket holding in the wires up top. I figured if I snipped that tie, there should be enough wire. Thanks for all you posted by the way, I couldn't have done the install without reading up on your install.

My relocation kit came with an extension harness. I've read that some people cut the wire loom to move their existing wire and plug down lower. There is also something different in the wiring between my 06 and your 05 because of the airbag light. I believe its and extra pin in the plug/harness and I can't remember if the harness extension works with the 05 or the 06. My installer just cut the original plug and extended it down to the ashtray so I didn't have to worry about that.

I was hoping I would have to extend the wires but you're probably right because of the damn airbag on the trip computer. Oh well, I'm sure the fit and finish will be worth it, I definitely have my work cut out for me, I need to call rockford fosgate for some box specs and get down on that, I was planning on making an amp rack on the side of the box. Definitely want the amp visibile, it has 15 blue led's on it, looks really sick at night.

warning, the AVO part is not direct bolt in for the 05's, just a heads up, jerry riggin insued after trying to install it on my car as the parts were all backwards (designed for RHD cars apparentlly ;) )

Yeah, it is RHD, but only required minor trimming with a dremel to fit.

The relocation bracket has 3 pieces:

- Plastic trim to fit RHD ashtray cutout/shifter trim

- Metal Retention bracket for RHD shifter trim

- Wire harness extension (with 7 pins)

The trim piece wasn't that hard to fix I didn't have the right dremel bit and it only took about 10 minutes of taking a little off, and re-checking fit. One of the screw holes lines up with a minor trim, the other one you MAY be able to make it fit (I have a sliver of plastic around the screw).

The Metal retention bracket won't work with LHD cars or at least I couldn't figure out how to make it. Right now the clock is being held to the trim by packing tape. I'm going to glue it with silcone sealant later so I can get it out if I need to.

The extension harness has 7 pins so I believe it'll plug and play with the 06/07 models. For the 05 with the Airbag indicator light darkfox1 was able to source some pins that you can plug into the harness. I used those w/o problem.

I'll try to snap some pictures next time everything's apart to show how it goes together and what trimming was needed. With a Dremel tool it's pretty easy even for novices (use a bit that you can enlarge screw holes and one for cutting plastic in tight places and you'll be fine).

The Metal retention bracket won't work with LHD cars or at least I couldn't figure out how to make it. Right now the clock is being held to the trim by packing tape. I'm going to glue it with silcone sealant later so I can get it out if I need to.

Good post, this install is obviously much fresher in your head than mine. I used the metal bracket on mine, no problems. Took a little trimming, and then you have to load the shifter bezel in on an angle as your putting it back together to get it to clear on the sides.

All of this becomes readily obvious when you have the piece in your hands.

Thanks guys for all the info, i'm planning on ordering the AVO trim piece in the next week, for this weekend getting my band pass done and getting my amp will take priority, then next weekend i will look for some different brackets for my screen that don't interfere with my ducst, i'm just using L brackets right now. Get my dash piece back on. This install is definitely a project, it takes a grip of time, especially if you don't want to F*** up your dash or other pieces of your car in the process. Overall i'm impressed.

Thanks for complimenting my thread title, it was about as original as P.Diddy.

Archived