LegacyGT.com

Why car doesn't start after flash or reset

mwiener2

I just figured out why the car doesn't start right away after a base map flash or after you reset the ECU.

NOTE:

• Initial diagnosis of electronic throttle control is

performed after memory clearance. For this reason,

start the engine after 10 seconds or more have

elapsed since the ignition switch is turned ON.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^ You mean to tell me it took you this long to spot that note? ;)

It's the reason why many of us tell the noobs to wait 'till the gauges have finished their initial sweep before trying to crank after a reflash or reset. :) It's not "10 seconds," for-sure, but I've yet to get a failure after waiting 'till the sweep has completed. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :lol: That's a good one! :)

---

I knew to wait, but I never knew it was in the service manual that it would do that. I thought it was just one of those things that happens

^ Yeah, it's really buried in there - for such an important detail, I'd have imagined better "placement" in the manual so that we'd be more aware of it.

Perhaps it's something that they just expect all service techs to know. :confused:

---

huh, I had always thought it was the fuelpump.

^ I think that's the case for cold-weather starts. Like you, I could always hear my pump working - even on my wife's '05 WRX.

For some strage reason, my pump seems to prime really fast, and I rarely, if ever, encounter the delay even in the coldest of NE-Ohio winters. My wife's WRX, on the other hand, demands a slow hand.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

With my first use of my AccessPort this weekend, I forgot to disconnect my green connectors. It started after about 5 seconds of turning over. After a few seconds of idling, I realized that I had forgotten to disconnect the green connectors and shut the car off. It started up like normal after I disconnected them.

Archived