LegacyGT.com

PDX's review of SI-Drive All 3 Legacy branded cars....(Details within)

Alright....

So I went on a little stealth mission today. To test out Subaru's SI-Drive on the new Legacy line. (LegacyGT (sedan/wagon) as well as the Outback limited).

So... here's my findings.

I'll start with the obvious one first:

2007 Legacy GT 5EAT Sedan - Pretty much like mine, cept the gauge cluster is different, has leather (actually not to bad), the heated seats are in different spots and the SI knob is there. Take her out for a test drive and put the car in I-mode (Intelligent mode). From here, it feels like a junk 2.5i (Sorry guys :( ) but it really just has no boost at all. Which I suppose is fine for put-put driving. I also noticed a few other differences in the 2007 Legacy's, but I'll let you guys find those out on your own. :D Anyways, so then I put the SI-knob in Sport mode. Basically acted like my 2005 in Drive. (Funny) and then I tried it in SI-Sport # (#=Sharp). Basically it's like "Sport" mode on my 2005 GT. Bumping the shifter over into the manual shifting area forces you now to shift manually. You no longer get a "Sport" mode like on the 2005/2006. Now onto the 5 speeds.

2007 Legacy GT 5 speed Sedan - Again, same as the above tried out all the settings and I noticed that the responsiveness was about the same in the 5 speed with the manual having a little less lag (obviously) than the automatic. Overall each SI-mode was statisfying but overall felt "meh"

Next up:

2007 Legacy GT 5EAT Wagon - Lucky for me I got to test drive the ONLY LegacyGT Wagon in Oregon at the time being. All the other subbie dealerships had them on back order. Anyways, tried all the SI-modes out and noticed the same variations as I did on the 5EAT sedan. With the wagon having about 300lbs or so on the sedan, I noted that it did take the car (what seemed) a little while longer to get up to speed in SI-Sport # mode. Could've just been the heat but who knows. Either way, the car was very well mannered and each mode offered it's "benefits" but again, the 2005 at this point is still my favorite.

Lastly,

2007 Outback Limited 2.5XT - I was VERY impressed by this car. I don't know Subaru has changed the suspension on it but it really glides now. (Mind you I've driven an '05/'06 Outback XT and it didn't feel as smooth as this). Anyhoo, the SI-drive on this was the LEAST responsive of the others. I tried all the modes out and even the SI-Sport # mode kinda sucked ass. I didn't redline the car (obviously the guy probably would've yelled at me...) but I did get it up to about 6,000 RPM's (haters can suck it!! :lol: ) and the turbo/car just didn't feel as responsive as the Legacy Sedan / Wagon. Overall it was a great solid car.

So.... you guys (*coughs* **Kicks IWANNASPORTSSEDAN**) who want to know if SI-drive is worth the extra $2,000-$4,000 for a 2007.

In a word.... No.

I believe the SI-drive will eventually be a mainstaple of Subaru's lineup but as of right now, being the first model year and such, I really think it sucks. Not only are you force feed which mode to pick, it really dicks with how you want to drive the car regardless.

So of course.... the 2005'ers (me included) will continue to say... "2005, best year..." which I think at this point is true. 2006'ers, don't worry, your cars will be fine as far as market value and such.

Any of you looking to swap your 2005/2006 for an 2007 with SI-Drive, my advice, DO NOT DO IT!

The US is going to be getting some fun additions (6 speeds/Paddle Shifters for the 5EAT) complete refresh designs in 2008 and really I think SI-Drive is more of a gimmick now or a "Filler" if you will until the real changes hit the Legacy line in 2008.

-Aaron-

does the si sharp mode stay in sharp mode when the car is turned off and back on?

EDIT: No it does not. If the engine is turned off but power still to the car it will retain the mode, however if you turn off the car and go in somewhere it will default back. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm just going to bide my time and wait for the aftermarket to crack the SI drive for tuning purposes, if that is the case. But, since I've yet to drive an SI car, I'll wait to complain about it.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

The 07 Spec B I drove would not allow you to even select Sport # mode with the car sitting and idling. It made an annoying "no you can't do that" beep. I had to have the car rolling to do so.

I didn't notice any difference really either with the car in Sport #. I'd say the worse thing about the SI drive is that tacky chrome plaque on the center console that says "SI DRIVE" in giant letters.

I am not sure if it is SI related, but at very part throttle (manual), or just barely above idle, going about 15 mph the mph gauge jumps around and car has a slight stutter. I think it is related to the way the throttle position is measured, but my WRX never did anything like this...

Wacky

I want my click back. Please, don't create threads with only part of your username in the third person....I thought this review was from PDX Tuning and I was actually interested in reading about how they worked with Si-Drive. :(

I want my click back. Please, don't create threads with only part of your username in the third person....I thought this review was from PDX Tuning and I was actually interested in reading about how they worked with Si-Drive. :(

jesus.... you and your comments sometimes.....

jesus.... you and your comments sometimes.....

I'm just being honest. I seriously thought this thread was about a tuner and how they worked with Si-Drive. How's that worthy of 'jesus' from you? :icon_conf You intentionally chose your username because of said tuner....it's confusing at best.

You're a moderator... I understand this... however if you can't tell that a thread has an actual "username" after the PDX notation, then I fear for you.

If you want me to change my name, take this offline and shoot me a PM and we can talk about changing the user name. It is not my fault for your ignorance in whether or not this was a thread about PDXTuning's thoughts/opinions or ideas on the SI-Drive.

Also, some of the responses you've posted in relationship to posts I've had or things stated in other threads makes baby jesus... 8 lbs... 6 ounces cry.

If you have further beef, just shoot me a pm Patagonian.

I am not sure if it is SI related, but at very part throttle (manual), or just barely above idle, going about 15 mph the mph gauge jumps around and car has a slight stutter. I think it is related to the way the throttle position is measured, but my WRX never did anything like this...

Wacky

I'm noticed that very same thing this morning.

I also noticed that when pushing hard and swithcing between gears let's say 2nd and 3rd, I can distinctly hear the blowoff valve. When I step on it in 3rd it has linear acceleration (less than before), then all of a sudden, a jump or kick, like someone hit me from behind.

If I gas it in between, then the turbo is spooled up and no jumping.

ignorance? no...misleading on your part methinks. I'm not the only one who thinks that, but thanks for the insult :lol:

Leave it there please...any more posts attacking me and you will have PM. If you have an issue with anything I say or post...PM another mod with your issue or use the 'report' button.

Thanks for posting your review, it is noted.

In defense... I jumped in thinking it was a PDX thread.

I would imagine someone from PDX might actually do a double take if they see an unknown thread with their name in it. Uknowing people might make the mistake of associating you with PDX Tuning.. in fact why wouldn't they.

Please don't take that the wrong way. Just defending Patagonian GT and possibly PDX here. Freedom of speech, say what you want and title how you want... just be more understanding rather than jumping on the defensive.

.... defensive... oh crap that is right... ESPN HD Football FTW. Peace out.

Dude,

I think you just saved me 10 grand.

The new B is cool but unless someone buys my parts kit I am waiting until 08

PGT-bike riders are generally really cool people. Do not let me down bro.

I know you are above that. Go out with your light and pound some singletrack and remember almost everyone from Oregon is right on.

I'm noticed that very same thing this morning.

I also noticed that when pushing hard and swithcing between gears let's say 2nd and 3rd, I can distinctly hear the blowoff valve. When I step on it in 3rd it has linear acceleration (less than before), then all of a sudden, a jump or kick, like someone hit me from behind.

If I gas it in between, then the turbo is spooled up and no jumping.

I think we need to get our own thread about this....

No it doesn't... you can't select Sport Sharp if the engine is cold.

My mistake. If the engine is cold then it defaults. I think if you leave the keys in and the power (as the salesman did) to the car on then it keeps it. Sorry if there's any confusion with that guys.

Thanks for the review.

I do wonder why you bothered to drive both the sedan and the wagon, as someone else noted the weight difference is actually quite small, officially 65 pounds. Reminded me of a scene in a movie where someone tried sample after sample of something, not liking it but trying another sample "just in case."

Interesting that you felt performance was so different from the LGT to the Outback. It's only another 65 pounds heavier, which shouldn't affect the powertrain performance significantly. Main difference should be ride and handling, where you did not a difference as well.

Archived