LegacyGT.com

slow forming exhaust leak

Beanboy

Took about eight months for the copper gasket at the uppipe to manifold to fail. OEM in for a few months and that's starting to go as well.

Understand if there was noise/fumes after an install, or maybe after a few heat cycles/100 miles. But what would cause a OEM gasket to start to fail after a few months and roughly 2000 miles of driving? Slow warp of the flanges? Bolts stretching? Incorrect/too much tension on the flange?

Kinda scratching my head here, since the flange didn't leak after the last two installs. Most of the issues with leaks I've read about have been within a few weeks of install.

• 1 month later...
I would guess co-planarity problems because the pipe wasn't the right shape or incorrect assembly order. Did you tighten the uppipe to turbo bolts first, then position the manifolds or bolt down the manifolds then tighten the uppipe to turbo bolts. On my car I found that things wouldn't line up perfectly unless the UP to turbo bolts were tightened first.

Rigid or flex UP?

If rigid, I would invest in a good flex UP.

Keep in mind, the OEM UP is a flex design, so with a rigid UP you need tolerances that exceed even the manufacturer's spec's.

Is that true for a manual transmission? My UP was rigid.

Took about eight months for the copper gasket at the uppipe to manifold to fail. OEM in for a few months and that's starting to go as well.

Understand if there was noise/fumes after an install, or maybe after a few heat cycles/100 miles. But what would cause a OEM gasket to start to fail after a few months and roughly 2000 miles of driving? Slow warp of the flanges? Bolts stretching? Incorrect/too much tension on the flange?

Kinda scratching my head here, since the flange didn't leak after the last two installs. Most of the issues with leaks I've read about have been within a few weeks of install.

My understanding of things is that *any* gasket will fail if either the flanges are not a good mate/flat, or if improper installation led to problems with the seal.

The hot, high-pressure exhaust gasses essentially "punches a hole" at the weakest point.

:icon_conf

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived