LegacyGT.com

Finally got my hitch bike rack hooked up right!

fatbastard

I am considering adding a tow bar to my 2007 Subary Legacy GT for hauling bikes and maybe skis (they may go inside). How much did it cost for your tow bar to be installed? What kind of bike rack did you get? Does it have a ski adapter, also?Which ones did you consider prior to purchasing?

I've had a Yakima rack for skis/bikes on my last two cars, but would rather make my car more aerodynamic and also think when I'm not hauling bikes, it will just look A LOT better.

Thanks.

I got the hitch from etrailer.com. I think it was $145 so I added a $5 hitch cover to get ovr the 150 mark for 99 cent shipping. I installed the hitch myself, it is very easy. I did the install without jack stands in my parking lot, I just dropeed the cans and squeezed under there. You will need someones help though, the hitch is fairly heavy for the position your in and trying to hold it up and get the bolts through the hitch and spacers then thread them in is difficult.

The bike rack I got is made by Saris, it is the Cycle On Pro. I am pretty sure they only make bike racks though so there wouldn't be a ski attachment. This rack normally sells for ~400 but I got it for around 250 because my buddy is a distributor. I had looked at teh Thule T2 which is very similar but in the end it came down to price and my buddies recommendation.

For skis/boards I don't know if I would go with a hitch rack on a Legacy. My rack hits the ground every now and then pulling into a steep driveway, if this happened to your board you'd be very unhappy. I am not sure there would be much of an aero advantage either since they will be sticking up above the roof. There is a huge advantage with the bikes, even when mounted I don't notice a change in mpg or anything.

For skis/boards I don't know if I would go with a hitch rack on a Legacy. My rack hits the ground every now and then pulling into a steep driveway, if this happened to your board you'd be very unhappy.

Most of the ski/snowboard adapters for hitch mounting should allow you to place them higher than the bottom of the car. Here's my Subaru hitch + Yakima on my old STi;

http://www.mcnproductions.com/sti/exterior/snowrack.jpg

I used mine for bikes and snowboards.

-Mike-

Thanks for the info on the tow bar install. Based on your explanation, it sounds like the Subaru comes ready for the tow bar to be installed. Am I reading that right? I'll have to arrange for one my of strong male friends to help me with it...

That's sounds like a great deal on your bike rack...any chance your distributor friend would "cut me a deal"?

Thanks, also to Mike for the info on snowboard and Yakima options.

Elaine

My old Grand Cherokee use to have a cigarette lighter in the cargo area and I ran a small cooler off. I used it to Colorado and back without issue. I left it on over night once and didn't do a thing...

If your worried about it I would get the cooler cold on the drive to the trail and turn it off when you head out. If its insulated good enough it should keep everything cold. My does...

fatbastard, confused... what's the dif between this and the old rack you had. forgot, did you have the hidden hitch? this a tow bar? if so, I'd like to see an rear view pic of it with no rack on it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

c-lo...more of a joke than anything. Same hitch and rack I just added a beer opener to the the rack. The only thing I did since the original install was to shim the back so that I had more ground clearance

oh:lol: got it. I was hoping you found a tow bar option like VW wagons have.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Do you have a pic of it w/o the bike rack? I am so tired of taking both wheels off and cramming it in the trunk I am ready to buy a wagon!

Sponge...pic of what? Car without the bike rack but with hitch? Car without rack and hitch? Car with bike in the back????

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
fatbastard, I'm in a toss up between buying a 07 legacy ltd wagon and an 08 outback. My problem is i want to put a hitch mount bike rack on the car occasionally and I'm concerned about ground clearance. I have an old camry with a trailer hitch and it bothers me to no end when it scrapes out of a driveway and I'll be bummed for sure if my next ride does the same thing. Since you've had some experience with this, what is your recommendation, the Legacy Ltd wagon or the Outback Ltd? I would hate to spend and extra $3K to avoid a very small problem. Thanks

for what its worth, i have our oem hitch on our 05 sedan... and it hasnt bottomed out yet (in about a month since i installed it). Our driveway has a decent incline and dip at the bottom... Have also taken it over its fair share of speedbumps too. no hits to report!

the oem hitch really hugs the bumper nicely. looks good, and is relatively undetectable... unless your looking for it.

fatbastard, I'm in a toss up between buying a 07 legacy ltd wagon and an 08 outback. My problem is i want to put a hitch mount bike rack on the car occasionally and I'm concerned about ground clearance. I have an old camry with a trailer hitch and it bothers me to no end when it scrapes out of a driveway and I'll be bummed for sure if my next ride does the same thing. Since you've had some experience with this, what is your recommendation, the Legacy Ltd wagon or the Outback Ltd? I would hate to spend and extra $3K to avoid a very small problem. Thanks

I'm very aware when i will potentially bottom mine out. so I go slow and at angles when it may happen. go Outback for more ground clearance.! wish I had sometimes but I really love my car.

c-lo, is lowered at all? In all the speedbumps, dips, potholes, inclines, etc here in CT, i dont recall either one of our legacy's ever bottoming out. (hitch or no hitch).

maybe we just got lucky!

Archived