LegacyGT.com

Glowing LGT review in Washington Post

[quote name='GTCanada'][quote]That's because handling isn't a numbers game, it's a driving experience. The reviewer had a great driving experience, thus the glowing review. [/quote] Exactly. This is one of the reasons why people focus on body roll. Even though the car may still have lots of grip the experience is rarely about ultimate grip. We are driving on the street after all. Psychologically, body roll denotes a lack of control which folks don't like. Dynamically, less roll can mean that all the tires get to do their job in the corners assuming enough compliance to keep them in contact with the road. Personally, I will be investigating STi spring options when they are available. No offense meant to those that like the stock USDM set up, of course :) Tom[/quote] But less roll can also mean less grip. By way of example, I had Tein HAs with 450/375 spring rates, and DMS Golds with 180/180 spring rates on the same car. The car had more body roll, but handled significantly better with the DMS combo. Why? The Tein had no body roll, but also no compliance. You can't handle if the wheels aren't on the ground. My point about body roll is that in an inexpensive car, it is impossible to have compliance without body roll. If people understand what the car is doing, rather that what they think it's doing (your psychological perception point is well taken), they would understand more about what the car is doing, and how to drive it. Subaru is not going to make a stiffly-suspended Legacy, so people who are waiting for it, should either move on or get ready to buy a GT and mod it. Because if they make that car, real-world people aren't going to buy it. Kevin

[quote name='RobY']I hope that Subaru comes out with STi springs. I think the car would look and feel hot with a 1 inch drop and a stiffer spring rate.[/quote] Rob, there are already the pink STi springs, which I believe are about 20% stiffer and have about a 3/4" drop. Word is that they feel good with the USDM struts. Subaru is also working with Eibach on an "aftermarket" spring set for the Legacy. Kevin

[quote]But less roll can also mean less grip. By way of example, I had Tein HAs with 450/375 spring rates[/quote] With spring rates that high I suspect you would scitter through rough corners. I understand your point regarding body roll...I believe I have read it 4 or 5 times in different posts :) . But, as you also experienced, the WRX wagon with the STi suspension (firmer, less roll) had more ultimate grip than a stock WRX and, for me, was more enjoyable to drive. Granted, I would not want a set up quite that stiff on the Legacy. Tom

[quote name='gtguy'] Subaru is not going to make a stiffly-suspended Legacy, so people who are waiting for it, should either move on or get ready to buy a GT and mod it. Because if they make that car, real-world people aren't going to buy it. Kevin[/quote] Well, I think we need some perspective as to what "stiffly" sprung is... What *I* (hey, it's all about me, right? :) ) want in the GT version of the Legacy is something more along the lines of BMW's Sport Package suspension. My 0.02 is that the Legacy GT got the Subaru equivalent of the 3-series "base" suspension. Yes, its supple, but not sporting. Capable, not inspiring. What the LGT should have, IMHO, is the Subaru equivalent of the 3-series Sport Package suspension... it's by no means a punishing ride. But it is sharper in its responses and more athletic feeling. Liks Car and Driver's knock on the GT, it's a tad soft. I'd have liked to have seen Subaru offer a "Sport Package" suspension with either the JDM GT setup or something similar... a bit firmer, but not an STi or Evo ride.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='RobY']I hope that Subaru comes out with STi springs. I think the car would look and feel hot with a 1 inch drop and a stiffer spring rate.[/quote] Rob, there are already the pink STi springs, which I believe are about 20% stiffer and have about a 3/4" drop. Word is that they feel good with the USDM struts. Subaru is also working with Eibach on an "aftermarket" spring set for the Legacy. Kevin[/quote] Where did this "word on the street" come from? Somone tried the STi pinks on the USDM struts? :o

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='RobY']I hope that Subaru comes out with STi springs. I think the car would look and feel hot with a 1 inch drop and a stiffer spring rate.[/quote] Rob, there are already the pink STi springs, which I believe are about 20% stiffer and have about a 3/4" drop. Word is that they feel good with the USDM struts. Subaru is also working with Eibach on an "aftermarket" spring set for the Legacy. Kevin[/quote] Where did this "word on the street" come from? Somone tried the STi pinks on the USDM struts? :o[/quote] This came from a thread where the various parts offered by a vendor were pictured. Sorry I can't recall the vendor. Kevin

[quote name='Throttlejockey'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='racerdave']I was wondering that myself, DM... thought it might've been you. :)[/quote] Speaking of which...I wonder if Kev got his credit card machien up and running... :o :D[/quote] DM, catching up on your post count? :lol:[/quote] I think he's been off for a few days... DM your posts per day has fallen to 20.95! That is completely unacceptable! 8)

Archived