LegacyGT.com

Speedo accuracy

devobuzz

Took the LGT out on the highway last night and did 80 mph. Thing is I wasn't passing too many people - I think the speedometer is off. 80 mph was 3K rpm in 5th gear (auto, stock tires). Does this sound right? I thought at 80 I would be turning more rpms...

Get a GPS. Easiest way to verify your spedometer is to compare what the GPS says to what the spedometer says. In my GT LTD, the spedometer seems either right on, or 1 mph high, can't decide which. My old 1991 legacy L was 5 mph high at 70.

I had my cruise set at 38 the other day but those Speed sign things was flashing 36/37 back and forth, then again I'm not sure how accurate those signs are.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

• 3 months later...
Guest turboman
Just go out on an interstate highway and find those mile marker signs. Drive at as close to 60mph as you can and hold it for one or two signs. Two is twice as accurate. You'll need a wrist watch with a stopwatch. Should take 1 minute for one sign-to-sign and two minutes for two sign-to-signs. Divide the time it actually took into one or two minutes and get a correction percentage. That's how far your speedo is off.

Yes it can be up to 5% out. This is more of a safety feature built in as well. Safety to whom I say. Our speedos by law should be a lot more accurate than this. Police have spent millions of dollars on fancy radar gear to ping us for speeding, so why do we have equipment than can have a 5% variance up or down. Hmm are the Police/Governments paying the car companies to generate revenue ? I would dare say NO but there should be things in place to give drivers the control of knowing exactly what their speed is, not a guess game. Just food for thought............ Adam.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']I had my cruise set at 38 the other day but those Speed sign things was flashing 36/37 back and forth, then again I'm not sure how accurate those signs are.[/QUOTE] i didn't know it was possble to set cruise below 50mph. why the heck would u do that?! i usually run around 80 and turn around 3400-3600, but i'm manual. didn't think that would make a difference in highe speeds? Kenda

[quote name='ADirtyLegacy']i didn't know it was possble to set cruise below 50mph. why the heck would u do that?! i usually run around 80 and turn around 3400-3600, but i'm manual. didn't think that would make a difference in highe speeds? Kenda[/QUOTE] I set my cruise at just about any speed over 35, I like to just dodle along. Of course if their is traffic or lots of stopping I wouldn't but I do enjoy using cruise control whenever possible. Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Achilles Last Stand

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']I set my cruise at just about any speed over 35, I like to just dodle along. Of course if their is traffic or lots of stopping I wouldn't but I do enjoy using cruise control whenever possible. Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Achilles Last Stand[/QUOTE] holy cow that would drive me bananas!!! you never get to enjoy your car cause you're never driving it, and you have turbo!!! Kenda

[quote name='ADirtyLegacy']holy cow that would drive me bananas!!! you never get to enjoy your car cause you're never driving it, and you have turbo!!! Kenda[/QUOTE] That doesn't mean I don't get a chance to enjoy it, but I've driven and been in many faster cars so I don't really feel the need to be flooring it all over the place. I really like to drive slow most of the time, I'm sorry. Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Immigrant Song

Yep, I'm a firm believer of the whole 'Different Strokes for Different Folks' thing. Its cool as long as this slow drivin' is in the far RIGHT lane. As for the speedo, the OEM's hedge them to read a tad faster than actual. It's a legal / liability thing: they can get in trouble if the car is going faster than what the speedo says. I'm having a hard time remembering where I came across that info, though - my hazy memory is thinking it's mostly a European requirement.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Using two different GPS units (A roadmate, and my Nextel Phone) My speedo is a bit slow. But if everyone remembers back to 8th grade science class where you learned how to read gauges and rulers and such... Our speedo is marked in 20's with hashes at 10's, so therefore, you can only accuratly read it in 10's of mph, with 5mph readings being the...um....uh...just forgot what i learned in 8th grade and can't remember what it's called. But we can't read our speedo's in single mph units.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived