LegacyGT.com

Total Noob with rims...will these fit

Mblock66

So an offset is what pushes the wheel out or inside the fender more?

like <-----> that way. A 40 offset will make the wheel stick out past the fender?

I jsut don't know what offset is. the 5X100 is the bolt pattern I get that.

These are for Gram Lights that are discontinued and are sweet rims.

I guess I have to pass :(

Hahah. Still don't get it. OFFSET (Positive) is the center of gravity of the rim?

Forget it I have no clue. I will stick with the stock rims.

zero offset means the mounting surface is smack in the middle of the rim. negative offset means the hub is towards the outside. positive means it's towards the inside. think of it like camber....how many degrees off vertical, or in this case, how many mm off center.

So if I have this right....

if the center of the rim is 0 (on a rim on the right side of the car)

This side is - offset | This side is + offset

------------------------++++++++++++++++++++++

This means that the more positive the offest the more towards the outside of the rim is the bolts. So since the stock offset is like 57mm or something going to 40mm would push the rim out of the fender by 17mm?

Gunmetal 5 spoke, polished lip

18x7.5”

5x100 bolt pattern

Offset: +40

Thanks in advance. I have no idea what an offset does so i need help. I think the 5x100 is ok for us but the offset I have now idea.

Matt

no, not enough offset. i had 42mm once the tires stuck out of fender wells to much, have 48mm now, perfect. if you don't think 6mm is alot put it on the end of your nose then you'll see. :lol: bosco remember thats 12mm total

Stay Stock Stay Happy

This means that the more positive the offest the more towards the outside of the rim is the bolts. So since the stock offset is like 57mm or something going to 40mm would push the rim out of the fender by 17mm?

if the width is the same, yes. the offset number means nothing without the width figure.

Offset is the distance between the mounting point to the centerline of the rim. Offset is dependent on the width of the rim. For your converting uses, 25.4mm = 1"

Example:

you have a 8" wide rim, so having a 0 offset on a 8" would mean you have 4" to the shock/brake caliper side of the rim, and 4" to the fender of the rim.

you have a 8" wide rim, so having a +25mm offset on a 8" would mean you have 5" to shock/brake caliper side of the rim, and 3" to the fender side of the rim.. basically you shoved the rim further INTO the wheel well.

A stock rim is only 7" wide, not 7.5", so that comes into play. It's easier to draw it out on graph paper (old school engineering) if you need a picture of how wide the rim is compared to the offset. Here's a good way of thinking it if you wanted a deep dish lip to the rim, you can use the Axis site to help you picture it all:

http://www.axiswheels.com/widetrack_guide.html

http://www.tireguides.com/images/offset.jpg

Just remember, the wider the rim you go, the more you have to look into getting the proper offset you need to compensate for the extra width so that you dont rub on things (shocks or fender).

Another example:

Say you have 10" worth of room in your fender and say that your stock rims are already super close to rubbing the shocks. So what happens if you want a wider rim? What offset do you need to get for a 8" or 9" rim??

You have a 7" wide wheel with a +50mm offset. Center line of your rim is 3.5", since it's a 50mm offset (remember 25mm ~ 1 inch), so that means your mounting point is 2" away from the center line of the rim, since it's POSITIVE offset, the offset is moving the rim closer to the shock side, so in your case it's:

shock spring|fender edge

brake caliper|face or lip

----5.5"----|----1.5"---- = total 7" wide wheel

So for a 8" rim you need to work some math based on that you know you have 5.5" for backspacing:

shock spring|fender edge

----5.5"----|----2.5"---- = total 8" wide wheel

the center line of a 8" wheel is 4", but you have 5.5" worth of backspacing.. so it's 4" + 1.5" = 5.5", which is the same way as saying +1.5" = +37mm.

So for a 9" rim you need to work some math based on that you know you have 5.5" for backspacing:

shock spring|fender edge

----5.5"----|----3.5"---- = total 9" wide wheel

the center line of a 9" wheel is 4.5", but you have 5.5" worth of backspacing.. so it's 4.5" + 1" = 5.5", which is the same way as saying +1" = +25mm.

Once you draw it out on paper, it's much easier to understand.

It's possible to fit a 18x7.5 +40mm on the car, it's just that it might rub on the fender.. you can run a narrower tire (aka stretch a skinny tire over a wide rim) so that the shoulders are rounded off rather than squared off, but you'll have more of a chance for curb rashes and such as the lip is exposed.. here are some exaggerated pictures of stretched tires:

http://driftunit.com/photos/S14/jline/JLine_S14_1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/brmd56/stretched.jpg

http://members.aol.com/elledechanel/stretch.jpg

Keefe

Archived