LegacyGT.com

Got Rear-ended, But At Least He Was Gentle

Was sitting at a light this morning in the trusty Spec.B when I notice some clown in a 4Runner approaching me from behind about 50 mph and not slowing down. He gets real big in my rearview before he stands on the brakes, his rear starts to slide out as he slows, and he hits me square in the center of the back of the car with the left front corner of his bumper. The impact wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but he gave me a good jolt. I get out, really pissed since I've babied this car and it's still perfect after 15k miles, fully expecting the trunk to be bashed in. He has a pretty nice dent at the point of impact. But the Subie bumper did its job and there was no visible damage, not even a scratch on the vinyl bumper skin that I could see. (Need to wash it to be sure.) Anyway, I'm sure the steel underneath has a dent but if I can't see it, I don't care. But should I be concerned about anything else being damaged from a whack like that? He was probably down to 10 mph or less when he hit me.

did you get his insurance info? certainly have it inspected. my sister's audi got rear ended like that and there was hardly any visual damage, but it became apparent after a while that there is a major leak somewhere, b/c water was collecting in the spare wheel well. the other driver gave her fake info... so she had to cover that herself.

have it checked by a good body shop and replace all needed parts. it will be worth it in the long run.

also, i like your avatar, it is a volga with BMW 850 underpinnings and the V12 engine, right? over 400ft/lb of torque FTW! a shop in moscow does these crazy conversions... IIRC

i went through 2 of these inside the first 6 months of owning my car.

Second time sounded exactly like this... a couple scratches but no other really visible damage.

I had it inspected (this second time) and all that needed to be fixed was one of the clips tha tholds the bumper cover on broke.

$50 parts & labor.

The first time, only the cover was damaged - it was crushed in on one corner. No internal damage at all. $510 for bumper cover replacement.

Hello consumer. And I say unto you, please use exact change.

This is my shark.

Just crashed my two week old 07 half hour ago. Stupid lady one car ahead of me decided to take a quick left which ended up with me crashing into the car behind her. Damage ain't all that bad, couple scratches,front right of the bumper hangs 1/4 inch lower than the other side. Hopin it will be under 500 to fix.:(

Just crashed my two week old 07 half hour ago. Stupid lady one car ahead of me decided to take a quick left which ended up with me crashing into the car behind her. Damage ain't all that bad, couple scratches,front right of the bumper hangs 1/4 inch lower than the other side. Hopin it will be under 500 to fix.:(

thats called dont follow the car in front of you too close....

but still that sucks what happened :(

Thanks for all the advice. It's really nice to be able to go to this forum when you need to ask about something pertaining to the Legacy.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I did not kick him in the nuts because he was pretty nice about the whole thing. Maybe I should have at least given him some noogies.

2) Yes we exchanged all the info.

3) No cops. They only complicate things. I know where he lives. If there are any subsequent problems, I will send Rocco over to his house with a lead pipe.

4) You have correctly identified the avatar. I just love the pimped Volga and would kill to own one. I wonder if they have a forum....?

Archived