LegacyGT.com

engine revs after start -- is this normal?

My new '06 non-turbo Legacy sometimes revs up to about 2000 RPM for a few seconds after starting it up. Sometimes it goes as high as 3k rpm. This is not immediately when the engine starts, maybe 15 or 30 seconds later, and lasts maybe 10 seconds before settling back to a normal idle. It doesn't always happen, and I think it has only happened when the engine was cold. Has anybody else experienced this? I can't imagine it's normal, never had a car do this before.

Part of it is the cold-start solenoid adding some initial throttle. Could also be your AC cyling on and off if you have turned it on. I know that my LGT (and all my other Subes do too) picks up a few hundred (probably closer to 8-900 RPMs over stock idle) when the AC kicks on.

Other than those two things, I'd only be guessing.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks everybody.

It is not footware-related. I'm not quite dumb enough to ask "why does my car rev when I push on the gas pedal." :)

If this is normal or at least approximately normal I'll just wait until the first time I'm in for an oil change to ask about it.

Well I paid attention to my car when I started it this morning - it went up to about 1800RPM and down from there; no where near 3K. 3K is definitely odd, but not something to get too excited about. Def have them check it out at next oil change

my dad's 06 2.5i revs out of nowhere up really high and then back to normal idle its happened cold its happend warm and its not a footwear problem i was in the car when it happened and completely took my feet off of the pedals cause i thought i was pushing the accellerator accidently

• 3 years later...
This is normal, I just bought an 09 Legacy Limited and it revs after sitting for awhile to about 2000 rpm's or less and then goes back to normal idling after a few seconds. I called the dealership service department and the guy told me that it does this to heat the cat up quicker. Hope this helps.

This is normal, I just bought an 09 Legacy Limited and it revs after sitting for awhile to about 2000 rpm's or less and then goes back to normal idling after a few seconds. I called the dealership service department and the guy told me that it does this to heat the cat up quicker. Hope this helps.

I guess I should have posted a follow-up to this but I forgot until this new post came in (guess I am still subscribed).

The dealer I was going to at the time I first posted this (3+ years ago) said it was normal. I got sick of the service department there and started going somewhere else. The new dealership checked and found that there was a firmware update for the ECU for this problem, and it has not occurred since then.

Archived