LegacyGT.com

Sti brake swap possible on leg gt?

highwaydrifter

If it is a strait swap then the stop tech and ap model BBK would bolt right up.. Anyone see any problems with this? And please keep the "the stockers rock, no need for an upgrade" stuff out of this thread. Im coming from a set of stop techs on a wrx to stockers, so what i have planned out for my leg (once i get her) i need to have more then stock braking in place. IE along the lines of ap or stop tech kit (most likely a stop tech kit if it is a simple project). Anyone know the answer?

and keep the get sticky tires out of here as well i understand the concepts of braing and proper tire selection. If things go as planned she will be on r compounds for track days. If not she will be running moderate sticky tires (zrs of some sort). Its a shame i just sold my stop techs off my wrx haha

I think the question was asked, and the answer was no. But part of the Legacy parts book is a set of Brembos, with big ol' calipers just like the ones that come on the STi. It's about a $6K mod, IIRC. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same, or somehow differently set up to clear the GT wheels. As requested, I will refrain from the other comments regarding such an upgrade. :lol: Kevin

that brake upgrade i saw is what sparked this thread, if it is simply a set of sti calipers and rotors then there is no issue outside of brakelines that i can think of. So long as it bolts up. Guess i will have to wait until i can pop a wheel off and pull the rotors and hold up a set of stop techs. Just was wondering if anyone else has done that is all. haha and yes gtguy i know the leg brakes are nicer then the stockers, but with the whp goals i want to hit i will need (WANT) more whoaa then goo. target is around 350whp on 93 for now more possibly later. I just have a hard on for those 6 piston ap brakes.. wanted them on the wrx but settled for the stop techs..

A far cheaper upgrade than the Brembo's, which may also have a bit of clearance issues with stock wheels, is the (correction)AP 4-pots that bolt up with mount kit. It's about $2,000 available here in Japan. However, that's just the fronts, not the front and rear setup that you can do with the Brembo's. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Hello, YEs its possible to fit the STI Brembos onto the Legacy GT. The front is direct bolt-on but the rear requires some modification If you can get STI rear brake-mounting plate its best else alternatively you need to custom a set of mounting brackets to the stock GT brake mounting plate. Either way is fine... Mine was the second option cos' its not easy getting STI mounting plate (Also need to mod cos' STI hub is different). Its also much more cost effective. Addition work also need to be done to the rear rotor hub cos' STI handbrake mechanism is bigger than the GT so a moulded hub spacer need to be "pressed" in to reduce the diameter. Using an aluminium alloy ones will help reduce the weight but would cost more. Cheers! EA

[quote name='mccorry']Looks like the calipers and rotors drop right in. Nothing too special.... But... would it really be worth the extra money?[/quote] Plus, factor in the cost of new rims and tires. And who knows whether the fitment would be the same as with STis?

[quote name='mccorry']Looks like the calipers and rotors drop right in. Nothing too special.... But... would it really be worth the extra money?[/quote] Try to believe... Am running on Brembos front & rear now (modded from STI brembo). Braking is superb tho not as fantastic as the 6pots...but definitely worth the $$ and cents... At least within the 1st week oredi saved the life of a motorcyclist peddling cross the road (just ahead of me) when his bike stalled. EA

[quote name='SC GT'][quote name='mccorry']Looks like the calipers and rotors drop right in. Nothing too special.... But... would it really be worth the extra money?[/quote] Plus, factor in the cost of new rims and tires. And who knows whether the fitment would be the same as with STis?[/quote] I am using stock rims but customed a set of bolt-on spacers to clear the brembos (oso to widen the track width of the car). EA

Rear requires mod 1) Mod mounting plate for centring as brembo rotor thicker and the caliper mounting is different (need bracket) 2) Mod the rotor (press in a customed spacing ring) cos' STI handbrake mechanism (hub) is bigger than Legacy (I think its 190mm vs 160mm) My mechanic had the above done for me together with Customed Steel braided hoses 6pcs (front 2, rear 4). Oso customed a set of bolt-on spacers so I can reuse the stock 17" rims....hence the car "looks" stock. EA

Archived