LegacyGT.com

Oil change notes for 2006 Legacy 2.5i (NA)

I did my first oil change today (3820 miles). Consumption up to this point was 1/2 quart. Having read other notes and generous write-ups here was very helpful. Here are some things I would like to add to that already excellent information:

* One of the easiest access cars I've ever worked on for oil changes.

* Don't look for an access cover - it's not there on 2006 NA models. No belly pan or underside covers, everything is just exposed like a good old car should be. :)

* Jack up the car on the passenger side only, because: 1) the oil pan is shaped with a "dip" to drain toward the passenger side, so raising that side got about 3 oz. more dirty oil to drain out of it; 2) the oil pan bolt is easily accessed from the driver side without the car being raised on that side; 3) it helps to have a little more space under the passenger side for accessing the oil filter.

* I bought the tiny Subaru filter from my stealer at a ridiculous price of $12.56, and the crush washer for a whopping $1.86. Then I carried it to various auto part stores to look for same size alternates and a cap type wrench. The Fram replacement is much bigger, but the Purolator is about the same size - just slightly taller. Nobody had a metal crush washer that was similar, with the little ridge on it, and I hate those dang nylon ones. I think I'll use the Purolator filter next time for $6.00, but maybe buy a supply of crush washers from the dealer with my $25.00 complimentary Subie bucks.

* No problem with the speed or stream as it drained that some others have complained about, my regular pan caught it with no issues and little splash.

* No oil cooler/heat exchanger for the oil filter to screw into means no leaking oil cooler/heat exchanger to worry about. :icon_wink

* The manual says add 4.2 U.S. quarts. Having pre-filled the filter and then added 4.2 quarts, started and ran it, and I found I needed almost 5 quarts to bring it to the top of the full mark hole (not the expansion notch). YMMV, but mine needs about 5 quarts for some reason.

Overall, pretty darn easy. I've changed the oil and filters on dozens of cars in my 44 years (starting with helping my dad when I was a kid), and this one has to rank in the top 3 for ease of access and low mess. I'm actually looking forward to the next time!

Ed

Looks like SOA is getting cheap. Even the access cover is there on a 05 base model Forrester.

Man your dealership is ripping you off. I have an invoice from last week when I went to get a couple oil filters and crush washers. Crush washers were $1.07 each. Oil filters, I usually do the buy 3 get one free and that comes out to $24.00 for 4 oil filters or $6 a piece. Normally they are $9.26 each but the parts guy cuts me a deal since I'm in there so often. AFIK the buy 3 get 1 free is standard among the dealers around here.

Man your dealership is ripping you off

Yeah, I agree 100%, I even bought a bug deflector from them at list price - they won't give me a discount on anything. I got a pretty good deal on the car, and they always ask for my name so they can look me up in the system before they give me the price. I think there must be a note in their computer to "try and make some money back in parts on this guy" or something. But I'm considering them past tense at this point. Where's the best place to get genuine Subaru parts by internet?

Archived