LegacyGT.com

noobie wiring question :(

jxjjang

Well it all seems as if everyone knows how to wire everything due to their sound systems..

so naturally, i feel a lil' embarassed asking this. but here's my situation:

i just installed my cobb STS and i ordered a really nice shiftknob with the shift pattern lit by a red LED bulb.

now, my problem is.. how the heck do i install it? it comes with two wires that are connected from the bottom of the shift knob (assuming it's attached to the LED :lol:). i know one's ground and one's for a 12V source.

If anyone can help me, I'm pretty new to doing my own mods but I love doing them. I need a step-by-step walkthrough on how to wire this sucker in.

I already tried once, and I blew the interior lighting fuse :icon_neut..

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!

you want a switch wire/circuit otherwise the light will be on all the time. yes the cig lighter would work forgot the Subie is not a GM product GM is hot all the time. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

^ +2

I'd go for the cancer-stick lighter socket/wires.

It'll be easily accessible once you've exposed the center console area, and you should easily be able to snake down/through wiring that way.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

1) Detach e-brake boot from center console by carefully pulling the edge next to the driver's seat.

2) Remove shifter plate trim by carefully pulling up on the trunk side of the shifter boot (if you don't do step 1 the piece will interfere). The center console should be fine but if it doesn't clear it has two pop tabs, one next the e-brake boot and the other on the passenger side which remove by pulling up underneath the cupholders.

3) Unscrew Shifter knob from shifter.

4) Unplug Cig/Ashtray harness plug, Trim piece should not be connected to anything now, place aside.

5) Pull stock shifter knob off.

6) Use wiretaps (pict below) on the Red (hot/+12v) and Black (ground) wires on the cig lighter harness to the LED hot/ground leads (presumably red to red, black to black).

7) Reassemble.

Get wiretaps for 18-22 AWG wire, they're usually red. Radioshack PN 64-3053. No cutting involved and the Cig lighter is on with ACC power.

pRS1C-2265826w345.jpg.595a8f642e016dd7bfca1cf08a951d47.jpg

Archived