LegacyGT.com

Short Ram vs Cold Air

triniexr

The big controversy over the K&N is over oiling it and fouling the MAF. I dont know if the APS is oiled or not.

I have one and have had no problems, but the intake noise is alot to get used to.

THe other thing I liked about the K&N is TDC will tune for it. PDX says they don't recomend it. TDC says it flows more....period!

Check with some of the tuning vendors on the forum and they may have some good input for the APS system

Which do you prefer? I am thinking of getting either the K&N Typhoon or the APS cold air intake system, which do you think is better?

OEM is the best all around set up. AM stuff provides minimal gains only in certain conditions at the expence of engine longevity. Not only that, AM intakes probably hamper engine performance more often than not. Automotive engineers don't leave easy/cheap performance gains laying on the shop bench.

IF, you are going to remove the stock intake system, ALWAYS go CAI over a hot air intake. If your intake air temps get over 122 degrees the car will pull timing and your power will go down the drain. Who cares who can send out an off the shelf map for a K&N intake. A custom tune is the way to go anyway. Each car is different so a map will work better on some cars than it will on others. Any tuner that knows what they are doing can tune for any intake set up. Just make sure to get one from a reputable manufacturer.(AEM, Injen, APS,etc.)

05 STI CGM~520whp/463wtq...more to come!

08 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/365wtq:D

Both tuned by Scott Siegel!

Custom tune is always better, but not an option for all of us.

Some of the best Subaru tuners in the US will come to you to tune if you can get about 10 other cars to join in. Sort of a tuning group buy if you will. I highly recommend Scott Siegel at Subaru of Gwinnett in Atlanta. He was actually up in Canada a few months back. Doug at TopSpeed travels as well. There are several other great tuners that do this as well.

Some of the best Subaru tuners in the US will come to you to tune if you can get about 10 other cars to join in. Sort of a tuning group buy if you will. I highly recommend Scott Siegel at Subaru of Gwinnett in Atlanta. He was actually up in Canada a few months back. Doug at TopSpeed travels as well. There are several other great tuners that do this as well.

I have tried and still had no success so far. Getting 10 together would be pretty hard for me.

I am sticking with the factory box until somebody like TDC says they can tune a quiet CAI, even then I will get the maps tweaked after doing some logs.

I have tried and still had no success so far. Getting 10 together would be pretty hard for me.

I am sticking with the factory box until somebody like TDC says they can tune a quiet CAI, even then I will get the maps tweaked after doing some logs.

Not many FXT, WRX, STI, or LGT guys up there looking for a good tune?:icon_wink

Scott tunes them all and tunes all forms of Subaru EM.:)

Not many FXT, WRX, STI, or LGT guys up there looking for a good tune?:icon_wink

Scott tunes them all and tunes all forms of Subaru EM.:)

Not that I have fuond.

Frontier Subaru (our mod friendly dealership) has tried in the past, maybe something will happen next year.

I always try to book a family vacation close to a tuner, but it hasn`t worked yetÉ

Not that I have fuond.

Frontier Subaru (our mod friendly dealership) has tried in the past, maybe something will happen next year.

I always try to book a family vacation close to a tuner, but it hasn`t worked yetÉ

There's a lot for a family to do in Atlanta, GA and the surrounding area.:icon_wink

Look into the AVO intake...it is just a quiet as a High flow panel filter. I have one on my car & love it.

As mentioned before though.......get a Protune with it as well;)

Really?

Just as quiet as a high-flow panel filter?

Hard to believe

This one I assume. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-49187380673845_1902_4073304

I wonder how much of a restriction the stock airbox is at 320 whp?

i have the aem on my car running stage2 tdc. they made a map for my mods which included the aem-cai and so far it is nothing but great. absolutely no problems with it at all.it isnt really all that loud after you smooth out you dont even hear it at all.:)

i have the aem on my car running stage2 tdc. they made a map for my mods which included the aem-cai and so far it is nothing but great. absolutely no problems with it at all.it isnt really all that loud after you smooth out you dont even hear it at all.:)

I guess that means that TDC can tune the AEM unit?

Good news.

Do you have an exhaust as well? How loud is the intake vs the exhaust?

still have the stock exhaust for now. exhaust is not loud ,although it does sound better after the downpipe(no cats)was installed. you dont even hear it at cruising speed.the intake noise to me is minimal, you can hear it when you get on it pretty hard but for the most part just normal driving around noise is no problem. i know this because my wife does not complain!:lol:

FYI, I was in a really pissy mood all weekend, Friday I was driving home and the intake sound from my K&N made me snap.

I put the stock airbox in Saturday, Data logged it. Still flowing as much air as the Typhoon. In fact, I saw 250gs from the MAF, the highest I've seen yet.

My car is so quiet now, even if I lost a few ponies, the silence makes stage 3 seem even more devastating.

Archived