LegacyGT.com

Radar Detector recommendation . . .

crapy

[quote name='trabbic']+1 for the Valentine, I can't live without the arrows and counter. All detectors false, but the arrows and counter help you to determine if it is a false alarm or not.[/quote] The "SpecDisplay" reading on the 8500 can not only help you distinguish false-alerts, but can also even tell you if the enforcer is using a legal freqency. ;) Even with the "ExpertMeter," it's easy to sort things out as you can look for "unusual" activity. For "anti-falsing," I tend to favor the "ExpertMeter" setting on my 8500, versus the "SpecDisplay" as it's easier to "one-glance" it while I'm driving. I have an area through my daily commutes that provedes an ambient background of one K-band false and 3 (! :eek:) X-band falses, and yes, I've encountered enforcement with both K as well as Ka-band trying to hide in this area. Just a point of-note. :) Again, I'm of the opinion that all top-flight detectors are just as good as the other, and that it's up to the end-user to figure out exactly what feature they desire, and which one performs best against their local enforcement. I wanted the V1 for the arrows, but alas, my local enforcement practices gives the 8500 a slight edge. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just keep your eyes open for cops... you might end up relying a little too much on a machine that can fault. I think the front headlights of the new Legacy could be mistaken for an Impala's, which are used here in CT as cop cars.

[quote name='H4Turbo']Just keep your eyes open for cops... you might end up relying a little too much on a machine that can fault.[/QUOTE] [b]EXACTLY[/b] :) A good radar/laser detector/jammer, at its best, is still a tool. Even the top-flight models such as the V1, 8500 X50, or RX65 - no matter what, they're still just tools. It's up to the driver/end-user to maximize the potential of such tools with proper installation, and, even more importantly, proper usage - both in terms of its features as well as it's PRACTICAL ON-ROAD APPLICATION. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...
There's another thread around here where I showed (crappy) pictures of my V1 display in my ashtray with the main unit above my rear view mirror. It's been like this for at least a year and has served me well. When I don't want anyone to see my display, I close the ashtray. It seems to be really difficult to make out the detector above the mirror from the rear because of the tint band.

I'd find the thread myself but I'm trying to get out the door right now. :)

I did pretty much the same thing as Trent with my Valentine remote. I actually disassembled the remote though, and mounted the front panel of it in the phenolic ash liner of the ash tray. I had to do a bit of surgery on the insert, but it made for a very neat install. Here's a pic of it:

Valentine_Remote.jpg.217519c494e0da4e41ab869a936453be.jpg

[quote name='obxt']I did pretty much the same thing as Trent with my Valentine remote. I actually disassembled the remote though, and mounted the front panel of it in the phenolic ash liner of the ash tray. [/QUOTE] That looks nice! I had originally intended to do that as well but didn't want to do all the surgery to the remote and the ashtray until I was sure I'd like the placement. I meant to redo the process but was content with what I have. :)

Archived