LegacyGT.com

SubWoofer

legacy4me

IMHO, the stock sub added depth and feel to the system. I have no issues with sound quality, and since I'm not into rap or techno, I can listen to whatever I want at volumes up to 20 with no issues whatsoever.

my $.02

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I just installed the stock sub last week and I think it made a HUGE difference. Not only is there a lot more bass, but the whole system is able to play louder now.

I agree that it won't shake the whole car the way a real sub would but for the music I listen to it was well worth the money.

Then you will be happy with the stock sub

+1

It's just enough to fill it out. I bought my car used with the sub in place, and it took me a couple weeks to realize it was there. I thought "Wow, there's amazing bass from these stock door speakers". It really is subtle enough that a decent set of door speakers could "out-bass" the stock sub.

I have found, however, that high bass levels and high volume with typical rock music will cause pretty bad distortion. I'll commonly have ot turn the bass down to 2 or 3 to get rid of it. Though I'm not sure if this is the door speakers or the sub.

I'll have to play with that.

One of these days though I'm going to get my 12" Diamond into my car, and some better components in the door... so ultimately this is just to hold me over while I wait (performance mods come first :lol:)

I would definitely recommend trying to calibrate the subwoofer on the sub itself rather than trying to adjust the bass on the head unit.

First adjust the cross-over frequency... tune your head unit to some kind of talk radio (usually found on AM radio) and then adjust the cross-over frequency such that you can just barely hear the speaking on the sub.

Adjust the volume on the sub to your personal liking.

I have had my sub installed for about 2 months now and I am very satisfied with it. Like it has been said before, it wont make your bumper or license plate rattle, but you are not looking for that anyways so I think you will be happy with it. I know I am. :)

Also if you decide to purchase it I would recomend reading this thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38564&highlight=%2470

I purchased the impreza sub and it is the same thing as the legacy one minus the bracket and the $70 you'll be saving. :)

You realize you can adjust the volume and crossover on the sub itself? Turning up the sub volume and raising the crossover frequency will probably help with the distortion from the door speakers.

Except that will cause the sub to distort, and the door speakers will still distort, you just won't hear the door speakers distortion as much, the sub distortion will cover it up. I'd keep the crossover freq. pretty low, mine is almost at the lowest setting, volume at about half or a little higher, seems like the best compromise of fairly clean sound without distortion, as long as the volume is kept at sane levels. The stock sub is OK for the $, you get what you pay for. As others have said, it fills out the bottom end OK as long as you're not looking to rattle the windows or wake the neighbors.

Ah, gotcha.

Unfortunately I didn't do the install myself, so I'm basing this on what I can see from Subaru install instructions... but it looks like the sub wiring harness is little more then a pass through? If this is the case, you could probably put two sub wiring harnesses together in series between the stock wiring, though finding somewhere to put the other sub may be a problem.

Cost wise I don't think I'd go that route. The factory subs are pretty expensive for what you get, and for the price of 2 you could get a decent 10" sub and amp with much more bass then 2 factory subs.

Archived