LegacyGT.com

Wiper Blades.

legacy4me

Before you replace your blades, try cleaning them first. Take a paper towel, soak in isoproyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Lift each wiper from the windshield and clean the old oxidized rubber and dirt off the blade with the towel.

If your blades still streak or chatter in the rain after they've been cleaned, they need to be replaced. If your car is less that 12 months old, the dealer will replace them for free under warranty. That will save you $20 or so.

Since you live in a rainy climate, you might try a glass treatment that will repel water from your glass. Aquapel is a good one. You hardly need to use your wipers at highway speeds once this treatment is applied.

If your blades still streak or chatter in the rain after they've been cleaned, they need to be replaced. If your car is less that 12 months old, the dealer will replace them for free under warranty. That will save you $20 or so.

I think the warranty on wiper blades is 3 years - the reason i say this is that my dealership replaced mine under warranty after a year and a half.

I think the warranty on wiper blades is 3 years - the reason i say this is that my dealership replaced mine under warranty after a year and a half.

yup, i believe you are correct.

my stockers were dead after about 12 months, but i kept them for another 6. was never really thrilled with them so got some PIAA super silicone about 3 months ago. very pleased,way better then 18 month old stockers :lol: and i'd say better then my stockers new, altough its hard to remember.

All three of my blades had already disintegrated by the time that I purchased the car. I bought the car in March 2006. Build date was July 2004. The car had 100 miles on it.

Stock blades are crap... I don't know why I keep buying them... :icon_conf

You all are probably right, the blades should be covered for 36,000/36 months under the new car warranty. For some reason, the service writer at my dealership was asking me if I had had the car over 12,000/12 months and I told him no.

The blades can be replaced without the arms. It's a bit of hassle but not really too difficult. I think most auto parts stores just sell the arms with blades because there's more money in it for them if you throw parts away before they're worn out! Would you rather spend $5 - 8 for new blades, or $15 - 25 for new arms with blades? For my Mazda, if you buy replacement wiper blades they give you a universal kit. It's a package with one 48" long strip of rubber blade material and 4 metal backing strips. You cut the material to length with scissors or a utility knife. You clip the metal backing strips to length with wire cutters.

In my experience the Japanese OEM rubber is longer lasting than most of what you get at the auto parts store. Any rubber is going to deteriorate over time, though, especially in strong sunlight. I'm sure many of the aftermarket blades are good, but there's nothing wrong with the OEM stuff as far as I can tell.

My PIAAs are still going strong - they're nearing the recommended one-year replacement point, though.

From what I've seen so far, I have no reason to replace them just yet.

Pairs *awesome* with RainX.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

$45 dollars for wiper blades? :icon_eek: That seems insane...of course a tank of gas costs that much these days which is also insane but that's another topic.

I think I would rather just use the regular refills that cost less than $10 for both.

How many wiper blades do you go through in a year? Maybe 1 set. That's less than $1 per week.
Another way of looking at it is you're paying 5 times as much for something that provides only slightly better functionality. I would not pay 5 times more for tires that were only slightly better than the less expensive ones. There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere.

Another way of looking at it is you're paying 5 times as much for something that provides only slightly better functionality. I would not pay 5 times more for tires that were only slightly better than the less expensive ones. There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere.

AGREE.

I just put Valeo Ultimates on and you can't use the arm spoiler with these.

The Valeos have an integrated spoiler on each wiper so you don't need it. They're much smaller too - they seem to slide under snow instead of just getting stuck and make progress in heavy snow.

Archived