LegacyGT.com

Experience with Town Motors servicing a modded car?

Joon525

Has anyone here ever gotten warranty work done by Town Motors in Englewood?

I may have a bad wheel bearing and I'd like to get it covered under warranty if possible but I'm worried the springs (Tein H's) will get me denied for warranty work. Defi gauges and a Borla exhaust might not make a good impression either even though they should have nothing to do with wheel bearings.

I haven't had any warranty repairs done there, but I went there for my 15k service and they wanted to replace my fuel filter (among other unnecessary things), and charge me $250. I said, "Thanks but no thanks".

While this does not directly apply to your situation, I think their need to perform service that is neither required or suggested by Subaru says that they're either very cautious, or out to make money from ignorant people. Neither should be particularly appealing to you, in your case.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Town motors is trying to be more mod friendly. The need the business. When i worked there, there were countless times whre a modded car cam in and we looked the other way to do warranty work. For the most part, as long as the mods dont get in the way of performing the warantee work, then you wont have a problem. They dont want to be in the position whre they have to remove an aftermarket part and then break it by mistake because it comes apart differently than the stock part that it replaced. I dont think you will have any problmes getting your wheel bearings replaced with aftermarket springs. They may not even notice. They are pretty laid back over there.

I am still thinking I may get a wagon next year. If so, then I prob will. At this point, I want to keep the sedan virgin for when I need to trade it in, etc. I am really hating the non-folding seats and overall lack of storage usability with the 4 door.

I keep on having to borrow my mom's Impreza sport when I need to haul things, and that is a bit small for some stuff I need.[/quote

LGT wagon is a huge different to the Impreza sport. I had the Impreza , but I love the LGT wagon. You haul more stuff and its makes a pretty good bed too. :icon_bigg

I went there 2 years ago now and brought my 2002 Forester for a 15k service. I have WRX seats and a metal brush guard on it.

I mean they performed it well and was professional much more than I can say about Hillside Subaru on RT 22, stay far away from this service of any kind. I had to call SoA on them for something I smelled very fishy...

Well here's how my visits went:

First of all I've been hearing grinding noises at 60mph and I was suspecting a bad wheel bearing. I had a friend drive with me sticking half my body through the pass-through to listen and vice versa. We both came to the conclusion that it was the passenger side wheel bearing. So off to the dealer to try to get this covered under warranty....

Wednesday 8/30/06

Went in at about 5 o'clock, met with Robert (service manager) and told him my story. He said that all the techs had already gone home but if I like I could come in the next day and he'd stick a tech in the car with me to see what's going on. Fine by me. I mentioned that I have aftermarket springs and my Volks and Defi gauges are obviously visible...I ask about the warranty and my mods. Robert told me it wasn't going to be a problem.

Thursday 8/31/06

Get there at 7:00 AM. Get in and see Robert, I get written up and wait for a tech to get free. When one does get free we set off with the tech driving. The tech tries to tell me that it's because of the bigger rims. Of course I'm not believing this one bit but I'm not really putting up a fight because I don't want to start anything until I absolutely have to. We get back and they put the car up on a lift to get a better listen with a stethoscope while I'm in the waiting room.

Later Robert informs me that they hear the noise more in the right wheel bearing but that will replace both rear wheel bearings under warranty.

So I'll be getting a call next week when they come in and then I'll be scheduling an appointment. :icon_mrgr

Overall this was the best experience I've had at a car dealer. One mention about the tech's comment about the rim size having to do with the bearings...like I said I just let that go. Yes I could've brought up that the Spec B has 18's stock but really now....I'm not bashing anyone until I get the car back in my hands, not before. :lol:

Told they wouldnt care. I bed Rudy was the tech who looked at your car. He likes to bitch about cars with mods but if he doesnt have to take apsrt the mods to fix warrantee problems, then he doesnt care. He cool, i used to work with him.

Me too. Rudy could be a pain at times!:icon_mad:

• 1 year later...
thread revival-does anybody know if town is still mod friendly for service and etc? englewood is fairly close to me as well and in case liberty cant squeeze me in, id like a backup.

Guest heightsgtltd

I had a younger bald guy work on my car recently. He was nice and seemed to know what he was doing.

Only thing he did that was annoying was he lowered the pressure on my Contis to stock levels, then I had to tell him to raise them because that's how I like them with those tires

by contis, do you mean the a/s extreme contacts?

what pressure are you running the fronts/rears?

i cant seem to find the thread suggesting 39/37 or thereabouts-i should check my pressures tom morning.

Guest heightsgtltd
I beg to differ, sidewalls on the contis are a little soft. I have set mine at 39, 37, and 40, 38 and have felt a marked imrovement

Archived