LegacyGT.com

Question About Boost

The Don

My Friend put a new turbo setup in his car an says hes makin 25lb(im guessing peak) of boost,, im running a TDC stage 1 makin 17 peak tapering down to 15-16. Should I race him an think I can beat him... His car Audi 1.8T K04 turbo with a chip

My Friend put a new turbo setup in his car an says hes makin 25lb(im guessing peak) of boost,, im running a TDC stage 1 makin 17 peak tapering down to 15-16. Should I race him an think I can beat him... His car Audi 1.8T K04 turbo with a chip

Are you serious?:confused:

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Why would you say such a foolish thing? Smoke him easily? With a stage 1? Not likely. The K04 is roughly the same size as the VF40. Both can flow enough air for about 325chp when maxed out. If that guy is running 25psi then he's got more than a chip on there! His K04 sounds like it's delivering everything it can where the VF40 with a stage one is not yet at full potential. I think it would be a pretty good race. As usual, more up to the drivers than the cars. Don't blow it off just because it's a 1.8L. They can be made to go VERY fast.

Don't get me wrong there, I'm pullin' for you. All I'm saying is that VW's can become pretty damn fast with a few mods so it would pay to know your enemy. My 2006 Passat is just chipped and it will put a hurt on a stock LGT (no, seriously. it would!) and that's just with the K03s turbo. The K04 can be worth 30-50hp more depending on the application. Still, to me this guy sounds like a doorknob. If he sprang for a K04 upgrade and didn't do any of the other "suggested" supporting mods then he's just throwing money away and not really making any more power. Go smoke him then! :)

Why would you say such a foolish thing? Smoke him easily? With a stage 1? Not likely. The K04 is roughly the same size as the VF40. Both can flow enough air for about 325chp when maxed out. If that guy is running 25psi then he's got more than a chip on there! His K04 sounds like it's delivering everything it can where the VF40 with a stage one is not yet at full potential. I think it would be a pretty good race. As usual, more up to the drivers than the cars. Don't blow it off just because it's a 1.8L. They can be made to go VERY fast.

Experience!

I have had a 1.8T K0-3 & K0-4, full exhaust/HKS intake, and a few different chips, ranging from Neuspeed, AMS, GIAC & APR. (Out of all of them the Giac & APR performed best, with a slight edge to the Giac. I had experience from all chips on both turbo's except for the AMS, it was only for the K0-3.)

Although the 1.8T's aren't bad, these tiny little turbo's completely choked the topend! I don't know about the 2.0T '06, as it also is transversely mounted, so hopefully you have the better turbine housing of the GTI/TT's. Those housing's with the same K0-4 wheel would make about 20hp more(280hp). Still short of the typical stg1 LGT's output of 290hp. Plus that peak # for the 1.8t happens around 5k, and it then nosedives afterwards, down to about 235hp by 6.3k rpm's.

Even then, it still would not be enough to take down a stg1 LGT, and most definitely not from a roll! The LGT although asthmatic, still has more hp, coupled with similar aerodynamics, and hp will always win. A stock/chipped K0-3 would just be outright raped by a stg1 LGT.

Do a search in here, it was a while ago, but a stg1 LGT went toe to toe with a v8 S4 6spd manual(from a 80mph roll), 2004-2005 vintage I believe...

You know, we could share unlimited war stories and argue until we're bitter enemies but it's all bench racing until the rubber burns. There will always be people to argue both sides but all I've got to say about your S4 example is WTF is wrong with the driver of that S4!?!? I know that people say that they aren't all that fast but that's just crap! They can pull off mid 13's at well over 100mph (like 103+). That is just an example of a poor driver in my opinion. Still, LGT FTW!!!!

I'm ALL pro-LGT here guys just in case you are wondering. I was merely trying to caution against being foolhardy against a rival that might just hand you your hat. Either way....RUN HIM! THen tell us the good news! (but do it safely please) :)

P.S.: Have you been on vwvortex lately? 2.0t's with just chips (and the stock tiny K03s) are clocking VERY low 14's at 98-99mph. Some have broken into the 13's at as much as 101mph. The K04 is holding about 5psi more through the topend with ZERO timing retard. No one has tracked one yet though. These 2.0t's are very quick! Still, no awd......ha ha ha. :D

Yeah Im going to just race him for fun some day...its just a lil weird that he is making 25 lbs of boost...peak or not...my friend with an S4 stage 2 is puttin out like 400hp (in that range) with small turbos he says... his car is the fastest car i've seen around me...and hes only making 19lbs of boost not peaking(something about his comp. it doesnt peak.)

If he really is hitting 25psi (which I doubt!) then it's only for a second and it's at around 3000rpm. Edmundo is right. The K04 is a small turbo and can't hold anywhere near that boost for long. It's more of a spike that is great for launching the car with (so long as you can get traction) but it tapers fast after that. Remember too that boost is simply a measure of backpressure at a certain point. It really has no actual bearing on the mass of air moved.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Archived