LegacyGT.com

Suspension choices for 1st-gen Outback wagon

Can anyone confirm for me which application I could use for upgrading the struts and springs on my 97 OB wagon? I want to get an inexpensive susp setup on there to change out the soft and 120k mi worn-out setup on there. Ideally stock-spec parts from a better model, as I did the same with my Imp Brighton using 2.5RS parts. I'm also trying to figure out the swaybar application for the rear.

Some points/ questions:

1) Aftermarket KYB GR-2's are available for the OB application, but would have same high-mount ride height, which I am trying to eliminate.

2) I've nearly confirmed that I can use struts and springs from 02-04(?) WRX wagon if I use the corresponding strut tops. I've heard about 'washering' a certain year's strut tops, and don't want to do that.

3) I am wondering if I would also be able to use 2nd gen Legacy GT wagon setup the same way I could use the setup from an older 2.5GT wagon. Is the 2nd gen any better?

4) Are the WRX struts/springs going to suffer with the added mass of a Legacy chassis/body? Or is it negligible, as I'm not going to be autoXing this thing, just enjoying it for another year as my main driver, and keeping it as my beater after then.

5) I do want to add a better rear sway, is the legacy a specific application, meaning an Impreza bar will not work, will it? I heard about a site called subyessentials or something? I saw it on nabiscioc, but they're down for now, and I cant find it. Anyhow, the stock one looks to be about 17mm, the upgrade would be about a 21 or 22mm?

Thanks in advance.

you can go with legacy BG (wagon) parts for suspension. It should put you down to normal Legacy wagon height.

IIRC, the BD/BG legacy's only weighed like 200-400 lbs. more than the current WRX. The spring rates may not be optimized for your OB, but it will be fine; I've seen BD/BG legacy's run WRX suspensions before.

The OB had the biggest factory rsb IIRC, an adjustable one from whiteline (19-21mm) would be your best bet. The only thing I'm sure off is that the Legacy/OB/Imprezzas of that generation shared the same endlinks. I think the bends in the bar are different.

Archived