LegacyGT.com

Tokico struts DO NOT fit USDM tophats!

rodan

I installed the Tokico HTS adjustable struts this weekend. The threaded portion at the top of the front struts is apparently unaltered from the JDM part. The USDM tophat has a thicker bearing, and there is not enough of the threaded portion exposed to fully thread the supplied nut.

Details here (scroll down):

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38935&page=11

I will be contacting Tokico sometime this morning....

Yes, they physically fit, and the nut will thread. All the details are in the other thread.

I just wanted folks to know that these are designed for the JDM tophat not the USDM tophat.

I couldn't get any response from Tokico yesterday. I don't know if they are closed Mondays, or what. There was no indication on their phone menu, and the website is not working in the 'contact us' area...

From the information I've received the USDM spec B and JDM tophats are the same, but with a given spring, will raise the front ~5/8" as compared to the USDM LGT tophat. So just switching tophats isn't the answer....

Mach V Dan has had these struts (he got the original JDM version) for around a year on USDM LGT tophats. He says has not had issues with the partial threading....

I figured it would bother some folks, wouldn't bother others. I've been keeping a close eye on mine, and no issues so far. I'm very pleased with the performance...

I just received the Tokicos to go with a set of H&R springs and this thread has me a bit worried about the install, although no one has reported a major problem once installed (although I agree that a perfect fit would make me feel more comfortable).

Is it the thickness of the spherical bearing in the USDM tophats that is the problem??

Doesn't seem like the spring length or tophat thickness matter in this case other than for ride height.

Thanks,

Kevin

Is it the thickness of the spherical bearing in the USDM tophats that is the problem??

The regular USDM bearing is smaller and thicker where the bolt goes through. The Bilstein top hat has a lot bigger bearing, but where the bolt goes through is comparatively thin.

Doesn't seem like the spring length or tophat thickness matter in this case other than for ride height.

Yep, just ride height really.

Thanks for the clarification LittleBlueGT. I guess there is a reason behind the minor parts differences between JDM, Spec B, and USDM, but they really are a pain in the ass sometimes. At least as far as I can tell from the other posts the bolts seem to be staying in place. Hope to have the Tokico's installed soon.

Kevin

I just spoke with someone in sales at Tokico, apparently the "tech" guy is on vacation 'till tomorrow.

His response to this was basically, "duh...um...I don't know anything about any of that stuff...um..." :rolleyes:

I guess I'll try the tech guy tomorrow. Hopefully he knows something about their products...

Archived