LegacyGT.com

So...it's faster than a Boxster...(long)

Hey so what was the Saab Viggen like? I always like those but dont know much about them.

It was a carnival ride, a blast and an acquired taste...thumping acceleration, great brakes and some of the best long-distance seats my butt ever met. They built a limited run for 3 years, in coupe, 5dr and convertible styles. It had 230hp and 258 lb/ft w/ with a smart ECU that limited torque in the first 2 gears, allowed for a few seconds of extra boost at sea level for passing in the rest of the gears and compensated for altitude up to 10,000 ft. to give you full hp and lb/ft. It came with its dark side: torque steer, body roll, build quality...but just drive one…and it’ll make an impression. On cold, crisp NE mornings it would run w/ cars way above its category. I can remember being on the highway one damp morning and breaking the fronts loose in 4th while passing someone...lotsa fun :D

Brian

vigs.gif.0013e4571a0c46d8b71f5ecf82eec05c.gif

Literally the day I picked our subie up (the wife's car, really, but I enjoy it as well) from the dealer and was driving home...a yahoo in a boxter was riding my butt through a nice series of s-curves on one of my favorite roads. I did succeed in leaving him behind a few times. From a light, quite noticeably. With 22 miles on the odo and the crap RE92's even. My experience with porsche owners (and corvette owners, as well) has been stereotypical. My car is a 98 Trans Am ws6. It's mildly modded and quite robust in it's own right. My experiences with friendly ridge running with most perceived "upper end" cars has been similar: they hate to get spanked by the TA. I don't even have a mullett, yet this rarely seems to be a balm for them. A a vast majority were guys in the in 40's (hey....like me!) with fairly obviously withered and vestigial peckers (hey...not so much like me!) who probably weren't really sure what they were driving to begin with, much less what just blasted past them. Anyway, that's what I think about that. What was the question, again?

[quote name='bebopper'][quote name='Xaqtly']You don't know a lot of Boxster owners do you? :D Most of them buy it for the prestige of the nameplate, and they definitely take it personally if they get their butt handed to them by a Subaru.[/quote] I know a few other Boxster owners and none of them really cares who "hands them their butt." :) Granted they are the enthusiast bunch, and they know how to keep the fast driving on the track where it is safe. As far as the nameplate, I don't think it is so much about the prestige as it is about the sense of history. We like to feel that there is "DNA" so-to-speak from the history of Porsche in our cars. I owned a Jaguar XKE many years ago. I would love to own a modern (and relatively affordable) Jag sports car, if it had some of those unique qualities of Jaguars of the past. And I'm not talking about the oil leaks and Lucas electrics! :lol: Personally, I think Subaru is doing a pretty good job of forging their own "sense of history". The Legacy GT combines the traditional Subaru values of reliability and all-season driving abilities with more style in a way that should have the German automakers concerned. I just hope the new Subaru styling trend we have seen in recent show cars (the Japanese-Alfa look) doesn't lead to a Bangling of the Subaru line up.[/quote] I agree. Great post. Here is a video of the special edition Boxster: [url]http://193.175.6.226/english/boxster/somo/Boxster-S-Jubilaeumsmodell/boxster-jumo_dsl.wmv[/url] All about the history. I like it. - Mike

Archived