LegacyGT.com

So...it's faster than a Boxster...(long)

Hello-

Well I have lurked for a while, became a member and now I've had my car for 3 weeks and it's about to go over the 1000 mile mark, so I feel it's time to make this confession...

It all started when I had been shopping for a car to replace my Infiniti FX35...needed something w/ better MPG. Test drove um-teen different cars over a month including: VW R32, Saab 9-2x, Volvo V70R, used Audi S4, Infiniti G35x, VW Passat W8, '04 and '05 STI and finally the Legacy GT Limited. I've had 4 Subies (including 2 GT wagons) so I thought this was a good fit. 75% of the STI w/ the space I needed.

Anyhoo...waiting at a light on the test drive to merge onto the highway w/ a Boxster in front of me when a 2F2F Honda pulls up in the turn only lane. So the light goes green and the Honda chops across the Boxster to get on the highway. My ever-so sweet wife says a few things I can't repeat and the Boxster takes off after the Honda. Now, I really tried to be mature and to remind myself this was a new motor, but being the ever-inquisitive Evil Marketer, who believes in "truth in advertising" I decided to tag along. The GT hung in pretty well on the on-ramp and once we hit the highway the GT started gaining on the Boxster as we both sailed past the Honda. The Boxster gave a thumbs-up and took-off. I laughed thinking "This is a wagon and I barely got it above 4k...must be a Wednesday motor" Needless to say...I own that wagon now.

So please forgive me for my "break-in indiscretion" :D and thanks for a great site. I have had a lot of unique cars w/ strong followings: Saab Viggen, Mazda GTX, Mitsu Galant VR-4, Golf GTi...but this site is really one of the best. Thanks for all info...you made the purchase easier.

Thanks,

Brian

'05 Silver Legacy GTL Wagon

sube_front.gif.65c59e091179ad2a7efc8764c2e795f9.gif

[quote name='racerdave']And thanks for breaking out of "lurk" mode... you've got a lot of experience with some nifty cars (and some AWD and turbos at that), and that can only be a boon to the site. :)[/quote] Thanks...I do love cars, having owned some 13 in the last 16 years :o (my wife still doesn't understand) and I tend to lean towards something unique with a race or rally heritage. So far the Legacy seems to be the perfect fit...that is...until the STI Legacy Wagon comes out :D

I own a 2001 Boxster (2.7L, 217 HP, 5 speed manual) and a 2005 LGT Wagon (automatic). I have not done a run against myself (!) yet, but in a straight line the two cars seem to be pretty evenly matched. My LGT only has about 2300 miles, so it isn't fully broken-in yet. I expect it will loosen up some more and get a little quicker over the next few thousand miles. In cornering it is obviously another story. Yes the LGT has AWD, but it also has about 750 extra pounds and a higher center of gravity. No question, at cornering limits the Boxster has better stability and more assured handling. Bottom line - they're both fun to drive, and I'm fortunate to have one of each. :D

[quote name='bebopper']I own a 2001 Boxster (2.7L, 217 HP, 5 speed manual) and a 2005 LGT Wagon (automatic). I have not done a run against myself (!) yet, but in a straight line the two cars seem to be pretty evenly matched. My LGT only has about 2300 miles, so it isn't fully broken-in yet. I expect it will loosen up some more and get a little quicker over the next few thousand miles. In cornering it is obviously another story. Yes the LGT has AWD, but it also has about 750 extra pounds and a higher center of gravity. No question, at cornering limits the Boxster has better stability and more assured handling. Bottom line - they're both fun to drive, and I'm fortunate to have one of each. :D[/quote] it says something about two issues, this thread. (1) the base boxster (generation 1.5) is kinda pokey for a $45k sports car. (2) the state of the state for run of the mill cars like the legacy is pretty darn good. 250hp. for a subaru family car? i think they've pretty well addressed the power outage of the boxster in the 2nd generation cars. lot more power (240hp & 280hp respectively in 5.9 & 5.2 seconds to 60mph, or so the porsche official website says).

Lemming, I agree with you on both counts. What makes the Boxster special is its amazing chassis. That, for me, was worth the price of admission. Until I took it to the track I had no idea how much grip it had. Also at the track, I wished I had more horsepower!

[quote name='bebopper']Lemming, I agree with you on both counts. What makes the Boxster special is its amazing chassis. That, for me, was worth the price of admission. Until I took it to the track I had no idea how much grip it had. Also at the track, I wished I had more horsepower![/quote] in general, a Porsche has never been about the straightline. they do quite well at autocrosses, which speaks to the brilliance of the chassis. it's just not my cup of tea because it costs so much to go fast in the boxster relative to what else you can get --my 993 (used) was less than a boxster S and a lot more car.

Very true lemming. What amazes me though is the new Carrera's are as fast as the 911 Turbo from a few years back now. I never was truly a Boxster fan. I just figured if you would get a Porsche, it's all or none. 911 then. :) The Legacy is a nice family car that's for sure. It definitely entertains that fun aspect too.

Err... I doubt the persone in the boxster would care less about a sedan/wagon wheezing pass it. Driving a Boxster or most any convertible is about the open air pleasure. In the case of the Boxster it's also the inherent balanced chassis dynamics. Otherwise, everyone will be buyng a 3.5l V6 Altima instead of a lowly 140hp miata after all it is quite fast. ;)

[quote name='Xaqtly']You don't know a lot of Boxster owners do you? :D Most of them buy it for the prestige of the nameplate, and they definitely take it personally if they get their butt handed to them by a Subaru.[/quote] I know a few other Boxster owners and none of them really cares who "hands them their butt." :) Granted they are the enthusiast bunch, and they know how to keep the fast driving on the track where it is safe. As far as the nameplate, I don't think it is so much about the prestige as it is about the sense of history. We like to feel that there is "DNA" so-to-speak from the history of Porsche in our cars. I owned a Jaguar XKE many years ago. I would love to own a modern (and relatively affordable) Jag sports car, if it had some of those unique qualities of Jaguars of the past. And I'm not talking about the oil leaks and Lucas electrics! :lol: Personally, I think Subaru is doing a pretty good job of forging their own "sense of history". The Legacy GT combines the traditional Subaru values of reliability and all-season driving abilities with more style in a way that should have the German automakers concerned. I just hope the new Subaru styling trend we have seen in recent show cars (the Japanese-Alfa look) doesn't lead to a Bangling of the Subaru line up.

[quote name='bebopper'] I know a few other Boxster owners and none of them really cares who "hands them their butt." :) Granted they are the enthusiast bunch, and they know how to keep the fast driving on the track where it is safe. [/quote] Ding! A lot of the enthusiast guys are really cool, I've gone to a number of Porsche Owner's Club track events and had a great time. Sadly, the enthusiast guys make up the minority of Boxster owners. Most (not all) of the Boxster owners I've encountered on the streets are aggressive dimwits who take great offense at the mere thought of a Subaru anything. :)

bebopper...you make a great point about how the history, especially motorsport history, of a mark influences how purchasers feel. Its not about the "$" prestige, as much as pride in its history. Makes me wonder how many of us bought our cars because of Subaru's history in rallying? I know that's why I did...

[quote name='racerdave'][quote name='SUBE555'] I never was truly a Boxster fan. I just figured if you would get a Porsche, it's all or none. 911 then. :)[/quote] [img]http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/whacky10.gif[/img] I actually would prefer the S2k.[/quote] :postwhor: S2K > Boxter. Period.

Archived