LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Crusher: Mazdaspeed 6

well, Eye, I figured I would get a detailed response. I'm not gonna say much else until more is known about the car, especially where it will be built, price, and so on. My suspicion is it will be less ford and more jdm mazda than the current 6, and that can only mean good things since many would agree that the 6 spent a little too much time running through ford cost control models (read duratec, taurus class interior, etc.) I got annoyed with many people dismissing the car on miniscule data, laughing at 6.6sec 0-62 times from a pre-production, probably one-off car. On the other hand there's a guy on the mazda6 forum running a calculator and speculating at 5.0 second 0-60 and others getting all jazzed about competing with Evo's and WRX-STI's when clearly those are NOT the competition. The legacy is, A4, tsx/tl if awd comes soon, and so on. Just looking for the middle ground.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I'm just a bit ticked-off that everyone's saying "LEGACY GT CRUSHER" without the actual car being out, and I guess I'm skeptical since Mazda had many teething problems with their last few efforts. I'm glad though, to see the "fighting spirit" (for lack of a better term) that was prevalent throughout the Japanese auto industry throughout the 1980's still exist in companies like Mazda and Subaru. While Honda, Toyota and Nissan dumb their cars down and fight in vain to become 'commodity sellers' like the Big 3, it will be Subaru, Mazda, and maybe if they get their head screwed on, Mitsubishi who will finish the revolution that Japan's Big 3 (ironic on so many levels) :lol: started. [quote name='sigmeda']well, Eye, I figured I would get a detailed response. I'm not gonna say much else until more is known about the car, especially where it will be built, price, and so on. My suspicion is it will be less ford and more jdm mazda than the current 6, and that can only mean good things since many would agree that the 6 spent a little too much time running through ford cost control models (read duratec, taurus class interior, etc.) I got annoyed with many people dismissing the car on miniscule data, laughing at 6.6sec 0-62 times from a pre-production, probably one-off car. On the other hand there's a guy on the mazda6 forum running a calculator and speculating at 5.0 second 0-60 and others getting all jazzed about competing with Evo's and WRX-STI's when clearly those are NOT the competition. The legacy is, A4, tsx/tl if awd comes soon, and so on. Just looking for the middle ground.[/quote]

The Mazdaspeed 6 will be worth keeping an eye on. There is no way it will take that car 6.6 secs in the 0-60mph sprint. C&D's Mazda 6S did it in 6.4secs. It only stands to reason that the Mazdaspeed 6 would be solidly under 6 seconds. Manufacturers are very often conservative when issuing performance data, as others have mentioned. Also, I don't think I'd expect for Mazda to overrate their cars' engine output again anytime soon. I think they've learned their lesson by now.

• 2 weeks later...
Only thing I like about the MS6 packaging is the fact the moonroof is a standalone option. Other than that, I'm really happy with basically everything else about my GT. At least there will be other cars out there like the MS6 to give Subaru some incentive to keep improving the products unlike the previous GT that had very little upgrade in chassis dynamics and powertrain abilities from 1997 to 2004. Phase I to Phase II... WOOO. The FXT and Baja Turbo were out before they put a turbo in the GT. Too bad the old GT's never got the SVX's EG33 when the SVX got terminated. Would have put a lot more thought into the GT trims being a much more potent machine a long time back. Then maybe we would have a turbo H6 now? :?:

[quote name='SUBE555']Only thing I like about the MS6 packaging is the fact the moonroof is a standalone option. Other than that, I'm really happy with basically everything else about my GT. At least there will be other cars out there like the MS6 to give Subaru some incentive to keep improving the products unlike the previous GT that had very little upgrade in chassis dynamics and powertrain abilities from 1997 to 2004. Phase I to Phase II... WOOO. The FXT and Baja Turbo were out before they put a turbo in the GT. Too bad the old GT's never got the SVX's EG33 when the SVX got terminated. Would have put a lot more thought into the GT trims being a much more potent machine a long time back. Then maybe we would have a turbo H6 now? :?:[/QUOTE] Sube... would you also be suprised to know that the MS6's engine useses direct injection.. I think this will be a great performer. But, they will not sneek it under a 33k price tag. I can promise you that. Also, take it from one who has been through many a mazda recal..don't EVER belive Mazda's HP rateings... The Mazda Speed Protoge's HP varied from CAR TO CAR..the Miata went through a HP gafaw..and we all know about the RX8..wich I lived through.. I would like to see how they postion it against the RX8.. with those "numbers' it's already eclipsing it's top sports car. But, I don't think we should put the USDM GT in the same class as this. The MS6 is a factory tuner hence the MS monicer. I think the JDM legacy spec B would be on eguel if not better footing with this car. We wouldn't have to wait for a STI version. We shouldn't compare our USDM vehicals. It would not be a apples to apples comparison.

I don't think being a factory tuned car is relevant to its being a legitimate competitor. The two cars are similarly priced, powered, performing, and kitted (all on paper of course). The fact that it may be limited production, and therefore not readily available certainly is a factor for any car shopper, as is the potential dealer gouging. But on paper, the two cars are going to be competitors in many peoples' minds, regardless. I would be surprised (unpleasantly) if it came in above $33,000. I think Mazda is smarter than that. They made sure to price the MazdaSpeed Miata low enough that it could skate under the S2000 radar for the most part. In fact they priced it low enough that buying a regular Miata seems like a dumb decision. However the MS Miata is in many eyes a rather disappointing performer, and I think it's precisely because they were so stringent on price point. I would expect that if Mazda were to err, it would be in this direction again.

Archived