LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Crusher: Mazdaspeed 6

I seriously doubt they would release a premium performance mod'ed car with only 6.6s 0-62. Mazda was careful to point out that was in Mazda test conditions, so give them some time to tune it and get production numbers. I like how it looks, some of the spy shots don't do it justice, but the official media kit photos give a better perspective. My GF has already claimed one for herself. I guess I'll have to think more about a Legacy. --sigmeda

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sigmeda, when you and your girlfriend both have your own cars, perform some "real world" tests for us to see which is faster, whether it be twisties or straights :). Of course, do it in a safe environment. No need to be endangering lives (other than your own :P).
-ben

[quote] A quick note on price. [url]http://www.mazda.com.au/currentnews...icleZoneID=3209[/url] That says it's expected to be $55,000 in Australia. On the surface that seem bad since a straight currency echange makes it $39k. However, cars are never priced the same in the US. By comparison, the Liberty GT over there is priced at $52,990 ($37k us). This encourages me that yes, this will be under $30k by the time it comes over here. [/quote] from NASIOC

[url=http://editorial.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/3E2E4296B04808C6CA256F1D0004B778] Mazda 6 - Paris Preview [/url] "As the new Mazda6 flagship, the sedan-only MPS will be priced around $55,000 – representing a $15,000 price increase over the premium Mazda6 sedan but making Mazda’s hottest sedan lineball with Subaru’s Liberty GT." "Mazda product chief Joe Bakai was quick to intervene when it was suggested the maximum 50/50 torque split could not allow the MPS to be power-oversteered like Mitsubishi’s Lancer Evo and Subaru’s latest Impreza STi, claiming the hot new Mazda will certainly do so and producing a video to prove it."

[quote name='squirrel-bait']Is that a top-mount intercooler? [img]http://www.triplezoom.com/news/uploads/mps5.jpg[/img] Why Mazda don't hood scoop? :D sqrl b8[/quote] Looks like they are pulling the air in from the front airdam. Notice how the hood and grille is taller than the normal 6? I think that's where it's coming from..

Yes, I'm sure Mazda will make the same mistake with the MS6 as they did with the RX-8. They'll publish hp/torque numbers that don't match reality, I'm sure. Nevermind the success and accolades they received with the '93 RX-7, first Miata, and first RX-7 back in '78. Will you see a lot of MS6's on the road late next year? Probably not, since most consumers will settle for the 6s with the V6, unlike the Legacy where only the GT delivers expected performance levels. So those who do get an MS6 will have a distinctive car that may not be quite as fast as the Legacy, but will probably have a higher resale value. And don't count them out on the awd system, they have done them before, and have immense resources available through Ford and sister volvo. Just because you don't see any current awd models in the US doesn't mean they aren't selling them elsewhere in the globe. This is a great sign for the market however, and will go further to encourage companies to come up with performance focused models of everyday cars. And bring on the Legacy STI then, so I can get off the fence and buy one. --sigmeda

My dad had a first year RX-7 as well, couldn't quite remember the model year, but I'm sure you're right. Back then I wasn't too sure if my dad acknowledged me as the third member of the family, as he owned, in order: fiat spider (back seat for legless children only) 76 lotus esprit (I curled up with the engine shroud I think) 79 rx-7 and after a short hiatus 86 fiero. --sigmeda

Price is a big question with this car. The 6s base is $21k-ish. While I was not able to locate MSRP's on the old Protege/MS Protege, anyone can go to Mazda's website and compare the price of the Miata with that of the MS Miata. Interestingly, the MS is less than $1k more than the most expensive base Miata. Conclusion... depending on how decked out the interior is, this MS6 could end up being well under $30k.

Nevermind that all the cars you speak of were built in Mazda's halcyon days, with a descendant of Jujiro Matsuda at the helm and no Ford ownership. As of now, the new Mazda's record is 0-3 as to delivering up on the promises they always make, since there was so much talk about how the RX-8, Mazdaspeed Protege and Mazda6 were gonna revolutionize their classes and make Honda, Nissan, etc. take notice, ad nauseum. I like Mazda (even the new Mazda) but the fact remains that Mazda has consistently struck out in both respects and the record as it stands, doesn't look good for them. I don't think you know that almost every midsize car sold in Japan has AWD available, heck, even the Camry has it. And the MS6's AWD is derived from a system used in the anemic JDM Atenza Wagon, pushing only 118 hp. I won't even start on the fact that Volvo has no knowledge of designing their own AWD systems, relying on Haldex to design and implement it on their cars. Nobody buys a 2.5i Legacy for the performance; if the MS6 ends up having a higher resale value than the Legacy (impossible if Mazda keeps giving cash-back on it like they do with the regular 6), than all I can say is [size=6][b][color=red]w00t![/color][/b][/size] :lol: [quote name='sigmeda']Yes, I'm sure Mazda will make the same mistake with the MS6 as they did with the RX-8. They'll publish hp/torque numbers that don't match reality, I'm sure. Nevermind the success and accolades they received with the '93 RX-7, first Miata, and first RX-7 back in '78. Will you see a lot of MS6's on the road late next year? Probably not, since most consumers will settle for the 6s with the V6, unlike the Legacy where only the GT delivers expected performance levels. So those who do get an MS6 will have a distinctive car that may not be quite as fast as the Legacy, but will probably have a higher resale value. And don't count them out on the awd system, they have done them before, and have immense resources available through Ford and sister volvo. Just because you don't see any current awd models in the US doesn't mean they aren't selling them elsewhere in the globe. This is a great sign for the market however, and will go further to encourage companies to come up with performance focused models of everyday cars. And bring on the Legacy STI then, so I can get off the fence and buy one. --sigmeda[/quote]

Archived