LegacyGT.com

How to disable A/C on defrost

Kuth678

Not sure if where to post this, sorry. In my 04 impreza I figured out how to disable that stupid AC coming on with the defrost just by cutting the wire leading to the switch that triggers when you put it on def. Anyone know of a similar fix for the 05 legacy?

[quote name='Deer Killer']why?[/quote] Cause, sometimes it's just better to use heat on the windshield, especially when it's snowing/raining out. A/C doesn't really help 'defrost' anything in that type of condition. I also like to use the windshield mode, sometimes, as there's air coming through the glass area, rather than at my face...and I know there are 'other' modes, but air coming from the 'front' of the car, so to speak, is much nicer sometimes. JMHO. I would want something like this as well...so if there is a fix, that would be cool. Later, i.

[quote name='inthedeck'][quote name='Deer Killer']why?[/quote] Cause, sometimes it's just better to use heat on the windshield, especially when it's snowing/raining out. A/C doesn't really help 'defrost' anything in that type of condition. [/quote] Don't buy that. [quote] I also like to use the windshield mode, sometimes, as there's air coming through the glass area, rather than at my face...and I know there are 'other' modes, but air coming from the 'front' of the car, so to speak, is much nicer sometimes. JMHO. I would want something like this as well...so if there is a fix, that would be cool. Later, i.[/quote] You can do this stock..

If you lived somewhere with any humidity you would find that simply heating outside air would instantly fog your windows. AC dehumidifies the air before it's heated. It doesn't make the resulting air any colder; the heating element can easily heat the AC's coldest output of around 50 degrees. It just ensures warm, dry air is blowing on your windshield. It's also good because it keeps your ac compressor lubed during the winter months.

I used to do this frequently with a Toyota I had... I could operate the defrost separately from the AC. But that was a FX16 with NO torque. The AC killed that motor unless you were at about 6k. (redline was 7500) With the GT, I had the air on, and above 2.5k, it really didn't make much difference. The torque works wonders. ;)

[quote name='inthedeck'][Cause, sometimes it's just better to use heat on the windshield, especially when it's snowing/raining out. A/C doesn't really help 'defrost' anything in that type of condition. Later, i.[/quote] Like John M stated, the a/c air is dehumidified so it will actually defog quicker than just heated air.

[quote name='John M'] It doesn't make the resulting air any colder; the heating element can easily heat the AC's coldest output of around 50 degrees. It just ensures warm, dry air is blowing on your windshield. [/quote] This is only true AFTER the cars engine has warmed up. But the only time I ever need the defog feature is before the car is warmed up. In this situation it only makes a cold car even colder. This is the primary reason I wanted the heated seats. Now I don't have to wait for the engin to warm up before I start getting the car warm.

[quote name='DAP'][quote name='John M'] It doesn't make the resulting air any colder; the heating element can easily heat the AC's coldest output of around 50 degrees. It just ensures warm, dry air is blowing on your windshield. [/quote] This is only true AFTER the cars engine has warmed up. But the only time I ever need the defog feature is before the car is warmed up. In this situation it only makes a cold car even colder. This is the primary reason I wanted the heated seats. Now I don't have to wait for the engin to warm up before I start getting the car warm.[/quote] Just because the AC light is not does NOT mean the AC compressor is on. If it's turning on in cold weather before there is any engine heat something is wrong with it.

Well in my case, I have a 2.5TS impreza. When the A/C is on I can notice a definate drain in HP. With my brother's car, a Legacy 2.5i, its just as bad. I also don't like the A/C air in my face, dries my eyes out. There are many reasons for doing this mod. I seemed to have developed enough intelligence to know when to turn on the A/C in conjuntion with the def if I need it. I also know enough to run the A/C once a week or so in the winter even if I don't need it to keep it running good. But I really don't need subaru providing dummy features like this. It almost as bad as the shift light I had in my 97 Saturn.

[quote name='Kuth678']But I really don't need subaru providing dummy features like this. It almost as bad as the shift light I had in my 97 Saturn.[/quote] Saves Subaru from getting complaints that the defroster doesn't work well, there's lots of people out there who aren't as smart as you.. BTW, that shift light in your Saturn wasn't for you, it's for the EPA :)

[quote name='eamiller'] Saves Subaru from getting complaints that the defroster doesn't work well, there's lots of people out there who aren't as smart as you.. BTW, that shift light in your Saturn wasn't for you, it's for the EPA :)[/quote] EPA? really... jeez, if I had shifted when that stupid light told me to, I would have been at 500-1,000 rpm most of the time. Yeah, i've noticed that the windows fog up like crazy even on a fall morning. Mostly on the outside so I just use my wipers. For all the little things about the car that could be better, its still a blast to drive. I love my little blue car. Its the first one I really enjoy driving. Now to just get a bit more power.

Had my last car for 11 years - probably used the air conditioner twice. I always defrosted the window in the winter with the heat only and it worked fine - never had a problem with the dryness of the air hitting the window. And this was the case even when the car was wet inside from the snow off people's shoes. I agree with the original post, but I'm not to the point where I'm tempted to start snipping wires. I just wish I could retrofit manual climate controls in my GT.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='jaycee'] I just wish I could retrofit manual climate controls in my GT.[/quote] You can use it completely manually. Just try harder.[/quote] That's just it - you have to try [i]a lot[/i] harder just to get it close to what you want it to do. I find it takes several button presses just to turn the fan on and get some outside air flowing. From the off position I hit the fan button and the all-knowing automatic control turns on the AC, sets airflow to recirc and starts the fan blowing at full speed. I disable the AC, change from recirc to outside air and then back off the fan with 3 or 4 clicks of the fan decrease button. What should take 1 button press takes 6 or so. Plus - with all this fiddling with the "automatic" control it's probably safer to pull over to the side of the road when you're adjusting it. Maybe I could find someone who has the manual climate control and wants to "upgrade" and I could swap.

This is a surreal thread to read for me! Every car I've had since 1990 (With my 1978 Oldsmobile being the first car I owned with A/C) has worked like this where the A/C compressor came on if the defrost mode was used while the outside temperature was above 42-45 degrees F. The service manual for that car stated that the reason for this operation was to keep the A/C system lubricated during the colder months. (I got the impression that this was a newer concept back then.) I haven't performed this test on a Subaru, but I have driven around with a thermometer in the air passage of that Oldsmobile for trouble shooting purposes and found that using the A/C compressor with the heater core open made very little difference in the temperature of the air coming out. It was less than 5 degrees F as I remember it. I believe that I once toyed with the idea of disabling the compressor for the Winter until I noticed how little difference it made. It's a personal choice for those that want to disable the compressor, but I sure wouldn't bother with it. I've always gotten the impression that those without this "feature" were required to periodically remember to turn on the A/C during Winter to maintain the system. It doesn't engage the compressor when the temperature is freezing or below, and I wouldn't expect it to noticably impact the heated temperature of the air very much. (I guess we'll see this Winter!) And it's sure not going to rob a noticable amount of power from these engines. BTW, can't you just pull the A/C fuse out to keep the compressor from engaging? Usually that's all it takes. :)

[quote name='jaycee']I find it takes several button presses just to turn the fan on and get some outside air flowing. From the off position I hit the fan button and the all-knowing automatic control turns on the AC, sets airflow to recirc and starts the fan blowing at full speed. I disable the AC, change from recirc to outside air and then back off the fan with 3 or 4 clicks of the fan decrease button. What should take 1 button press takes 6 or so.[/quote] What about just pressing the "Recirc" button and then adjusting the fan speed to the desired level? I think the moment you change modes and/or fan speeds, it goes to manual usage mode and doesn't go back to automatic until you press the "Auto" button. I also believe that it stays in that mode after you shut off the ignition and restart. Why would you want to have the unit turned off BTW? The only time I turn any of mine off is when I'm listening to a tiny noise somewhere. I'm spoiled by these automatic units. I also have one in my GTP. I get in my Wife's '03 Legacy and forget that I need to adjust it manually so I sit there the entire time I'm driving expecting that the climate control will adjust for me. I usually realize that it can't about the time that I'm almost to my destination. :D I don't mean to be insensitive to those in this thread. I'm just surprised at some of the viewpoints and wondering what the viewpoints are based on. :)

Speaking from winter driving experiences in vehicles with and without A/C. The A/C compressor kicking on INSTANTLY STOPS all window fogging-up. Just take a long trip on a cold day with a car full of people that are talking. W/O an A/C defrost, your be all steamed up in a matter of minutes. I cant think of a time where A/C enhanced defrost was bad. Unless your system is low of freon and the compressor is cycling and groaning on and off. There isn't a car made with A/C that allows your manual control of the compressor during the defrost cycle. And theres obviously is good reason for this.

Again, I suppose I shall wait till winter to see how this goes. With the WRX, anytime I used the 'windshield' only mode, the compressor would rob power, burn some fuel, make it even worse to try and get going from 1st gear, and all sorts of other hesitation. I used to own a car in which the 'windshield' only feature did NOT turn on the compressor, (an older galant, I believe), and that was great. I could sit there, in 45-55 degree weather, turn the dial to 'windshield' only mode, and enjoy nice cool air from outside, with all the windows up and the A/c off. The cold air would not hit my face, and nor would the car consume any 'extra' power. If I had to turn the A/C on for a few minutes in the winter, that was fine, didn't take too long anyway. I don't really care about it one way or the other. If it turns on, it does. If there is a way to fix it, fine. Different Strokes for different folks. Does everyone have to argue? Geez... Later, i.

Like inthedeck said - different strokes... A lot of times when I'm in my car I'm on my way to being outside somewhere. I like to just take the outside air and bring it in the car without playing with its humidity or temperature. I see the car ride as part of acclimatizing to the outdoors. That's the reason I like to have control over the AC. For a number or reasons (high speed drag, precipition, extreme temperature difference, cabin noise) I prefer to use the fan and vents rather than a window. It seems to work fine for me even defogging the window (as long as I keep the inside of the windshield clean). I agree that probably puts me in the minority (1% ?) of folks who don't like the auto climate system but I don't mind being on the fringe. :twisted: Still enjoying my GT even with its quirks...

Archived