LegacyGT.com

Stock tires aren't very grippy are they?

godwhomismike

I do NOT find the stock tires to be very grippy. I was driving this past weekend, wasn't getting on it , and went around a small turn and the rear jumped out a little bit. I wasn't expecting it to do that at all, and shocked me a little bit. Has anyone else experienced this? Will better tires cure this? Or is this going to be like this because it has 55% of the torque going to the rear? - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']I do NOT find the stock tires to be very grippy. I was driving this past weekend, wasn't getting on it , and went around a small turn and the rear jumped out a little bit. I wasn't expecting it to do that at all, and shocked me a little bit. Has anyone else experienced this? Will better tires cure this? Or is this going to be like this because it has 55% of the torque going to the rear? - Mike[/quote] Do you have an automatic or manual? Further, were you driving in such a way that unweighted the front (helllooo, rear torque bias). Did you lift (Subarus can exhibit lift-throttle oversteer) on mash the throttle? In the presence of the above conditions, any or all of them will make the tail end of the Legacy, which is surprisingly tight for such a mass-market car, step out, no matter what tires are on the car. Usually, the tail stepping out in a corner is a question of driver input. Non-grippy tires aren't grippy all around, so on dry pavement, they will tend to understeer, as the fronts will slide along with the rears. Kevin

I've only been able to lose traction in the slightest once (though I haven't really been trying). It was a 120* corner, I downshifted to second and powered through. The car is so well balanced, it started with just a hint of understeer. Then, by some erroneous driver input, the back came out a little as well, leaving me in a drift. Granted, it was only about 12 inches off my original line, but it was still fun!

[quote name='jedimaster']I find that the front end tends to plow on hard cornering (I mean really hard cornering)- I wonder what we can do about that?[/quote] JDM GT or Spec B suspension? :twisted: Ok, sorry, a bit of fiscal overkill for many people. Some cheaper ideas that come to mind: Tire pressures - play with and adjust them to lessen the front end plow a bit. Sway bars - usual idea here, something bigger in the rear to firm it up and lessen the grip from that end. Springs - when things are sussed out in that area. The base Legacy suspension geometry is quite good, a proper setup should bring it to neutral handling range. So far my experimentation points towards a setup that has a equal or higher spring rating in the rear for this, which is what the spec b/gt standard spring ratings are like. Uprated stabilizer bar end links - as usual, Subaru has fitted the floppy long ones as standard. Getting a setup with much less to no free play and putting them in the rear may take a bit of understeer out of it. I believe the JDM STi spec C came that way. Retains the front for ultimate road bump absorption. (I've tossed them and running the rounds of experimentation) Driving style - the cheapest method. :twisted: Worked well with my older twin turbo, especially when my rear stabilizer bars end link broke. Brake hard at corner entry, get all the weight on the front as possible, get back on the gas quick to get the rear end lively, and left brake on through. Of course, I'd reserve this for the track if I were you, guard rail and tree munching is an expensive and painful sort of experience. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Hmmm changing driving style, that works :D lol I'm thinking about keeping the stock tires for a year, then store them until the end of my lease and put them back on before I turn the car back. I'll probably looking into the Toyo's or the Falkens, I'll see how these tires worked with you guys in the dry, wet and snow. - Mike

The RE-92s suck in general. Have you seen the treadwear on those things? It's laughable. It's pretty easy to get the car to walk across the road during hard cornering with the stock rubber. When springtime comes I'll be getting myself a new set of Z rated tires for my legacy. Tires are the single biggest thing when it comes to handling. You can replace every suspension component imaginable, but if the rubber can't hold the road, you got nothig. Currently the only Z rated tires worth buying for the Legacy are the Dunlop SP sport 9000s. Hopefully by the time spring rolls around the Michelin Pilot Sport series and Eagle F1s will be available. This is not to say specifically that one of the above is far better than the other, but for sheer dry handling you can't beat the F1s or Pilot Sports.

[quote name='godwhomismike']Has anyone else experienced this? Will better tires cure this? Or is this going to be like this because it has 55% of the torque going to the rear?[/quote] A few times, yes, very fun!!! I guess I tend to lift throttle to accomplish this now that I think of it. New tyres? I decided to keep the RE92s since it was a $750CAD upgrade for me to get the Toyos Proxes 4. Anyhow, I'm just a casual driver so I don't think I would appreciate the tyre upgrade as much as some of the guys on this forum.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='SUBE555']They don't have to be 'Z' rated. Anything W, Y, or Z will work well. Even V will work for most if they are supportive enough, considering most will never top 149mph.[/quote] I never said they had to be Z rated, that's just what I was planning on purchasing in the future. Previously it was easier when you knew Z rated was the best you could buy. Now with the advent of the W and Y ratings, I'm not so sure. I know W and Y are rated for specifically higher speeds, but is their sidewall construction the same quality as something that is Z rated? Basically, I want a tire that isn't going to distort no matter how hard I go into a corner. Traditionally that's always been Z rated. I'm just wondering if the handling capabilities of W and Y are as good.

Some of the Z's are rather soft actually. A higher load rating I think helps reduce flex. Best thing to do is ask around. If you can't find it here, NASIOC has a TireRack person onboard (Luke) who can answer most of your questions. He seems to really know his stuff. Just unfortunate they don't carry Falken & Toyo.

Mike: an old post of mine. I didn't have the cha-ching to replace the stockers so here's what I did. Flame on! 3800 miles, driving like a fool and no loss of control so far. Well last night I came over Mt. Hood in some heinous foggy, rainy weather with lots of standing water on the road and I must say that initially I was a little cautious, but wicked it up quite a bit (80 thru the turns) to the point where I was scaring myself a little and guess what... I DIDN'T CRASH! The siped RE92's, while feeling a bit wiggly (probably could use more air) never lost grip. I was quite pleased. So for those of you that like to DRIVE your LGT don't hurry out and spend a bunch of coin on new rubber, if you don't have it. I don't know how a "non-siped" tire would've handled in the wet and I'm sure the handling in general could be improved (don't know, haven't driven the car with other tires) but this may be a short or long term solution for some of you. BTW, nearly had my first wild turkey kill on the way to Portland. I was passing an Escalade at the time and TWO big turkeys started across the road. If I was in an Outback I'm sure I would've hit it with the increased ride height... It barely made it over the top of the GT.

Archived