LegacyGT.com

Embarking on My First Spec. B Road Trip

On the topic... I just completed my first road trip with my new 06 MT LGT. 6 hr trip from Charlotte, NC to VA beach. 5 passengers, including two small children. Back seat was def. cramped but come on. AC kicking and 27.6 MPG! Kinda took it easy on the car, with little ones in there, but its nice to know whats possible.

Should be fun. Hoping to find fun roads on our CC circumnavigation of Lake Michigan. Sticking mainly to daylight driving because the cocktail hour comes early on my vacations.:)

Very Nice!! Have fun...what is the total drive time?

The Spec. B is a champ!

27.6 mpg (as per NAV) over ~1300 miles. Plenty of WOT on 100s of miles of twisty back roads. Passing is a breeze. The NAV system is a blast though it does have some odd quirks. The ETC cc is flawless. The suspension is sweet.

I just got back home from a 5 hour final leg and am tired but still want to jump in the Spec and find some more road.

More to come...

Best quote from my wife, "We're going that fast? It sure doesn't feel like it."

The Bilstein set up is luxury.

Something that I never considered when buying a MT car was that the lil' 2.5 turbo boxer with its lower compression provides less engine braking than you would think would come from such a high performance engine. That in itself is not a problem but when paired with brakes that only seem to grab serious braking power when pressed firmly makes them harder to modulate. I wonder if SS brakelines would help the feel. However because the brake pedal has to be pushed in fairly far, it makes heel/toeing very easy.

There were strong westerly winds for the couple of days we traveled north on the east shore of Lake Michigan. The Spec. handled these crosswinds nicely. There was a truck restriction when we crossed the Mackinaw bridge and the wind was so strong that they shut down a large wind farm. On the few wind turbines we did see in operation, the blades were bent far back.

We went to a beach were sand had begun to cover the parking lot. The amount of sand would have given my old RWD J30 huge problems but the Legacy drove like it wasn't even there. Sweet.

Should be fun. Hoping to find fun roads on our CC circumnavigation of Lake Michigan. Sticking mainly to daylight driving because the cocktail hour comes early on my vacations.:)

Wow Vimy, let me know how this is...I have ALWAYS wanted to do this and I had it planned for this summer...but then like 10 things in my life went terribly wrong and my summer vacation plans got derailed and sank in a bottomless pit.

I wanna go up to Mackinaw bridge - I hear it is very nice and long...but then again...I have also driven over Europe's longest Malmö - Copenhaga (Sweden-Denmark) so it may not compare positively.

Very Nice!! Have fun...what is the total drive time?

According to the NAV the total engine time was ~24hrs. However after we finished our run up the eastern side of the lake, we spent most of our time at a cottage in north central WI with a few runs to nearby towns. One could easily do the entire circumnavigation in as little as 2 days if you took direct routes and drove for long periods. The total mileage would be around 1000 miles. We took plenty of coast hugging back roads on the way up going as far as Paradise, MI and some really fun ones to NC WI and then a direct route back home from there.

Wow Vimy, let me know how this is...I have ALWAYS wanted to do this and I had it planned for this summer...but then like 10 things in my life went terribly wrong and my summer vacation plans got derailed and sank in a bottomless pit.

I wanna go up to Mackinaw bridge - I hear it is very nice and long...but then again...I have also driven over Europe's longest Malmö - Copenhaga (Sweden-Denmark) so it may not compare positively.

The Mackinaw bridge is impressive but I believe the Denmark-Sweden bridge is longer.

While at the cottage, I spent 6 hours washing and waxing my Spec. It took so long because I have this great wax from Maguires but it stains plastic badly. The shine is unbelievable but my old J30t's plastic bits where compromised when I last used it so I was super careful when applying it to #101.

(I think that you never know your car until you've throughly handwashed and waxed it. I had a 76 Valiant at one time (3 on the tree, slant 6, started frist time unplugged in -39C) that would cut me every time I washed it. Then again, I also fixed the linkage with a clothes pin. It was a crude but effective car.)

Archived