LegacyGT.com

I can't purchase a Legacy....(sad)

due to some financial problems occured in my family...i have to give up the chance of purchasing a Legacy B4, which is my dream car since last year. :| furthermore, my income isn't really enough to pay a car and school fees at the same time.... worst of all, my parents aren't living in the states that i have to pay the rent and food too. :( anyways, i will continue to visit this forum everyday :D :oops: So, life goes on :D however, since my cousin got a full time job recently, we can't share the Audi A4 anymore. I decide to purchase a fun to drive, and reliable used car in the near future. furthermore, safety is my parent's MAJOR concern (even tho i'm still the one who is paying the car), and i respect their choice. they, however, hate subaru and mini cooper.... They suggest me to get a used lexus IS instead, for around 15~18K. 8) therefore, please recommand some other cars to me at the budget of 18K. no toyota and honda, please...i know i can get a new car for that price, but, really, none of them is as good as a used IS300 MT. Thanks!

you want safety yet you don't want Toyota, Honda, or Subaru (why do your parents dislike Subaru, btw?)?! isn't the IS300 still a Toyota? seriously, I cannot think of any other brand that is safe yet can be had for $18K... i'd get a 2.5RS/WRX new/used if I only had 18K.

This Space For Rent

Sorry to hear it. Life is all about compromise, but I'm sure that is poor consolation now. You really need to satrt pumping the safety and reliability aspects of the subaru line. I've seen many Impreza RSs priced in your ballpark. Sure, they aren't turbo, but there are a number of upgrades available for them to make them pretty interesting. No toyota or honda? I can't think of any other brands I would want to touch used.

I know you said no Toyota... but since you considered Lexus, perhaps you should look at the Scion tC. It is an awesome little car and you can buy it brand new optioned up with the TRD blower installed from factory all for under $20,000. Seriously, it's worth a look :)

I drove the Scion tC before I settled on the LGT...I will admit that it was a fun car to drive...handling was great, and the acceleration was adequate. The only drawback was that my head would touch to rear window when sitting in the back seat (which is slightly the case for the LGT too). The tC can be had for around 17, and there will be/already is a lot of aftermarket support. JB

[quote name='axis008']I agree with everyone else that the Scion tC is a nice car. Also, what about the Mazda3 (like Beanboy said) and Mazda6? Those are in your range as well.[/quote] I'd recommend Mazda 3, too. It 's a fun zippy car. If you can put just little more cash, you can have a Navi, too:)

actually, the Lexus is my parent's choice. My parents just inherently hate Subaru... i tired to explain, but they never listen. they believe it's a car built for street racing. duh. anyways, i do not want to argue with them anymore, since i have enough problems to take care already. :( the reason i dont want a toyota is because i dont want a Corolla or Camry :D a used IS will be much better than that. I will try to get an insurance quote for the 2 door tC later. the Mazda 3 is nice car too, but i want some thing more mature. yet, it is in my list now :D (god, i really want a GT! it is soooo well priced!) and Thanks for all the suggestions!!! they are really helpful!

If you have 18 to play with, you might consider a 95-99 M3 sedan or coupe. I bought one last year (98 M3/4) and I love it. It is the best car I have owned and will likely keep it a long long time. The build quality is very good. It is a very fun car.

What about a Forester? That is not really made for street racing, or? 8) The Legacy 2.5i would also be a great car, not that fast as the GT, but still great. It seems that when your parents hear "Subaru" they only think of the Impreza WRX. But nearly every brand has a car in it's range that has a lot of power and can be driven in a "street-rally" style. If Subaru is really out of question than I also would look for Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

Archived