LegacyGT.com

Subaru Plans More Fuel-Efficient Cars

RayDhaIn

I just read that the TPH was completly canceled back in March, and that the hybrid currently being designed is slated for more like 2011 MY :(

However, they are doing work on E85 motors and FHI is thinking of bringing the Diesel here...

IMO Diesel has to be the next step. The technology long proven in other parts of the world, and now that the US is finally mandating "clean" diesel, I think the market will accept it quickly.

The real question is does Subaru have the balls to be the first automaker in the US to offer diesel engines in all their cars?

i'll believe it when i see it.

Subaru is a lot of talk but never brings it to market quick enough.

i would prefer the hybrid/turbo/gas engine in next year cars.

just think 0-60 5.5 sec. and 42 mpg. they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.

next would be the diesel/hybrid.

then a plain diesel.

Subaru is definitely not a market leader. Selling the # of cars they do, I don't think they want to take too much risk on what the public will buy let alone the technology they pursue.

Somebody else will have to create the market for hybrid turbo diesels. Subaru is investing and would probably follow but my guess 3 - 4 years later, really wanting to see if a large enough market develops. SO, since there's nothing in the US market today, it's a while away.

I just read that the TPH was completly canceled back in March, and that the hybrid currently being designed is slated for more like 2011 MY :(

However, they are doing work on E85 motors and FHI is thinking of bringing the Diesel here...

Where did you read that the TPH was canceled? I'm very disappointed, since I was hping on a possible hybrid Legacy in the 2009/2010 timeframe.

Diesel is gonna have to wait. The only diesel coming to America next year is from Mercedes. They are the only ones meeting EPA standards. Jeep Liberty diesel is being cancelled. It will only have 2 years of production. No more diesel VWs either.

As for the fate of all those diesel trucks I do not know. Perhaps they are exempt?

I have a 03 jetta tdi and love the great mileage and they can easily be modded for more power. I wish subaru would come out with a wagon and a small turbo diesel and awd that would get in the 40's for mpg. If they were smart they would make the engine biofuel flexable as the VW will only let you use b-5 (5% biodesiel) without hassleing about the warrenty. I would aim for b20 fuel based on the astm specs for us biodiesel.

I just got back from wisconsin and my fatherinlaws van is flexfuel. He runs E85 in it with no problems and slightly less mpg but its only $1.89/g at the pump.

They have E20 high octane 91 for less than regular also and wondered if that would work in the GT without problems? Custom e20 map?

Jim

I just got back from wisconsin and my fatherinlaws van is flexfuel. He runs E85 in it with no problems and slightly less mpg but its only $1.89/g at the pump.

Jim

Ethanol is highly subsidized and has ~70% the BTUs of gasoline.

Once the refiners make the switch to low sulpher diesel fuel, turbo diesel motors will be the way to go. When crude breaks the $100 mark in today's dollars (the greenback is going to take a hit in the next decade), turbo diesel hybrids will begin to make sense. However, when bests the $100 mark, it's going to be a different world. The US will suffer because of its cheap fuel profligacy. Remember, taxes from fuel sales are very important to state and local gov'ts for road building/maintenance. Things are going to get interesting because assuring fuel supplies costs money. I.E. Iraq @ $1.5 billion/week.

direct injection direct injection direct injection direct injection direct injection direct injection direct injection

HURRY UP ALREADY

Toyota has experience with it in mainstream products.

One design with a few pressure variances could cover 80% of their cars (2.5L)

Huge benefit for the turbo models: better off-boost response, better fuel economy, lower emissions and more power.

Bet EPA ratings for a DI LGT would be 22/29, equal to the current NA 2.5L Legacy.

Ethanol is highly subsidized and has ~70% the BTUs of gasoline.

Once the refiners make the switch to low sulpher diesel fuel, turbo diesel motors will be the way to go. When crude breaks the $100 mark in today's dollars (the greenback is going to take a hit in the next decade), turbo diesel hybrids will begin to make sense. However, when bests the $100 mark, it's going to be a different world. The US will suffer because of its cheap fuel profligacy. Remember, taxes from fuel sales are very important to state and local gov'ts for road building/maintenance. Things are going to get interesting because assuring fuel supplies costs money. I.E. Iraq @ $1.5 billion/week.

In Portland most of the diesel is alreadly ulsd. I know that there was some discussion of the selling E85 at below market prices at Milwaukee in the last sunday paper. I think ethanol is a good idea and actually compliments biodiesel as most farmers grow 2 years corn and rotate to 1 year soybeans (soy oil) . The worst part of ethanol is that unlike biodiesel you must distill the ethanol from the water which wastes lots of energy. Biodiesel just separates like oil and water and has much higher energy return.

Biobutanol holds some promise, more like gasoline ...

http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2006/06/dupont_bp_to_pr.html#more

Archived