LegacyGT.com

Opinion about iTrip?

DrGT

I have been reading the different threads about hardwiring of an iPod (directly to the board or via RF modulator). But I'd rather go the easy way: using an iTrip. Anyone has experience with it, particularly concerning sound quality and use with glass antenna, as in my LGT. I don't want top quality sound, but still want somethng acceptable (ie comparable to a good radio station). Thanks!

If it sounded as good as a radio station, I think that would be great. But it doesn't. NOT EVEN CLOSE! There are no adequate words to describe how bad it sounds. It was bad enough to make me disassemble my radio and spend 20 hours finding a way to connect the ipod directly! Really, it's that bad. And so is the Monster one.

[quote name='centerpunch']There are no adequate words to describe how bad it sounds. It was bad enough to make me disassemble my radio and spend 20 hours finding a way to connect the ipod directly! Really, it's that bad. And so is the Monster one.[/quote] Ouch! :(

I have the iTrip mini, and have to say that it's pretty poor. It''s probably one of the best small FM transmitters out there, but that isn't saying much. If you want something that's going to sound like a regular FM station, your only bet is an in-line FM modulator.

I looked into the iTrip but went with a Belkin Tunecast II because: - The iTrip can only take audio from the headphone jack. My Tunecast II gets it's audio from the line-out via the Belkin Auto Kit. - The Belkin can be programmed with 4 preset radio stations that can be changed on the unit itself. The iTrip needs to be changed through the iPod interface (slower). - Belkin unit comes with a car adapter The iTrip looks cooler, but I think the Belkin is more functional. FYI, the sound was not as bad as I had feared. It sounds as good as a strong FM station. Ken

[quote name='Tweak-G5'][quote name='centerpunch'] It was bad enough to make me disassemble my radio and spend 20 hours finding a way to connect the ipod directly! [/quote] Did you actually find a way to directly connect it, or are you just talking about a FM Modulator?[/quote] Direct connection, see: [url]http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3064[/url]

He did find a way, look at the sticky thread at the top of the Interior/Audio forum. It's not necessarily practical for everyone, but it's the most promising lead I've seen. Regarding any FM transmitter -- they won't work well if you have a lot of stations in your area, since the transmitter has to compete with the other broadcast signals. I tried the Belkin transmitter that has worked well for Ken, but it did not work with one single frequency for the length of my commute, just because so many stations are broadcasting around here. I went with a hardwired FM modulator, which actually disables the antenna input when in use, and it's a lot better. In fact, it is pretty solid at any frequency, just because it is not competing with other stations. If you have a lot of open frequencies where you live, the transmitter might work for you. So, try surfing around the FM dial and see what's out there. Craig

I use the iTrip mini in two different cars, and I have found a way to make it sound pretty damn good in both cars. Ready for the solution? roll both windows down and drive really fast!!! seriously, the iTrip mini works fine in the Legacy. I put it in the ashtray (i took out the ashtray insert) and its fine. Almost as good as a solid radio station. In my other car... omg.. took me two weeks to find a place that the quality was tolerable, waiving it around in the car and trying to avoid having an accident. Now it actually is clipped to the rearview mirror (great for access too, but weird). For the $30-40 bucks and instant gratification its fine for now. But as soon as I get some time, and the guys finalize the CD-player-aux jack, the iTrip will go on ebay. Or maybe I'll keep it for the occassional ride in someone elses car.

have any of you bothered to crack open the itrip and pull out the ant so it isnt encased in plastic? Supposedly it gets better recepetion like that. As well there are some people who have built amplification circuits for their itrips to boost the signal power so it is easier to overcome static and stations. just a few thoughts.. i saw your thread on the direct connect and well i would rather figure out a way to machine a new bezel for the leg and go with an after market deck then fuss around with some of this stuff haha.. we will see need to get the car first.

Some folks have cracked open the iTrip and iTrip Mini and pulled out the antenna. I may do that one day, but for now, the 87.9 channel works fine, even here in the Northern VA area. The Belkin I had was awful around here. On a side note, it is interesting to pick up other iPodders' signals. I was listening to some Baroque the other day, when suddenly, I started picking up AC/DC. I happen to like AC/DC, but still a bit of a surprise.

[quote name='centerpunch'][quote name='Tweak-G5'][quote name='centerpunch'] It was bad enough to make me disassemble my radio and spend 20 hours finding a way to connect the ipod directly! [/quote] Did you actually find a way to directly connect it, or are you just talking about a FM Modulator?[/quote] Direct connection, see: [url]http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3064[/url][/quote] Woa, can't believe I missed that. Damn, I wish that was posted before I installed my fm modulator. I'm totally reconsidering redoing my stereo like that. Thanks for the info..

I purchased an iTrip for my legacy, and it's 'okay'. Perhaps I haven't chosen the right FM frequency (I left it at the default 87.9 FM), but it occasionally loses reception. It's nothing major though.. most of the time it works great. I found that the iTrip worked much better in my girlfriend's civic, as well as my other car, so my guess is that the legacy doesn't pick up the FM transmitter's signal very well.

Now that I have started this thread, I am also considering another alternative : the Roadtrip! from Newer Techology (not the one from Griffin). http://eshop.macsales.com/Static_Pages/index.cfm?page=roadtrip/roadtrip.html&Title=RoadTrip!! I have seen many reports saying that it is simple but working very well. It seems to be very powerful and have less static parasits. Plus, it's cheap! Anyone has experience with it?

[quote name='liquidiq']I got the Monster one (I like the line-out idea) and it works ok. I'm having it modified to have a little more umph though ;)[/quote] How are you modifying it? Ken

[quote name='DrGT']Now that I have started this thread, I am also considering another alternative : the Roadtrip! from Newer Techology (not the one from Griffin). http://eshop.macsales.com/Static_Pages/index.cfm?page=roadtrip/roadtrip.html&Title=RoadTrip!! I have seen many reports saying that it is simple but working very well. It seems to be very powerful and have less static parasits. Plus, it's cheap! Anyone has experience with it?[/quote] but, how can u charge the ipod?

hey i didnt read this entire thread or the posts but.... I currently drive my dad's 2001 audi tt convertible.. I bought the 20 or 30 doller belkin (the cheaper one) fm transmitter, when this has full battery life which lasts a while, it sounds great!!! mabye the radios are diffrent but i lay it on the passenger seat and it sounds amazing, just like a real radio station 88.7 works the best for me, it must be something to do with the leggy too bad, for now its a cheap way to get my music with me, and its cool cuz i can pick it up and put it over/infront of the steering wheel to switch songs and im not totally disctraced from the road, have one eye on each... good luck

Archived