LegacyGT.com

My Stealth Dual Exhaust

Speedracerx

Stay Tuned...I'll put it on the rack this weekend (time permitting) and take some more shots, as well as some on the street pics. Also, I will try to get some sound clips, both opened and closed.

I have a cheapie dB meter and I'll get some readings too.

I've been driving to/from work (mainly freeway) with the cutout OPEN for the past week:icon_mrgr. It's pretty loud, but if I back off, it gets pretty quiet. With it closed, it's really quiet at freeway speeds. I'm getting used to the EL header sound...still sounds like large displacement Civic when I'm on it.

-SRX

Waiting for soundclips. I would love my EL headers more if there was not a slight leak (at least I think there is).

Awesome setup, is there anyway you could post up more pics of the underside and what it looks like when the car's on the ground?

Thanks...

FYI, it is totally stealth from the side and behind. You can't see the muffler can or the cutout unless you are close and actually crouch down to look under the rear apron, especially since I painted them flat black. Pics soon.

Waiting for soundclips. I would love my EL headers more if there was not a slight leak (at least I think there is).

If you used the copper gaskets, I know there is a leak!:) We just fixed a "leaky" UP that HAD copper gaskets...HAD, because when we unbolted the UP from the manifold, there was nothing there, gasket-wise.

If you're using stock gaskets, then it's probably the slip joints. Just to be safe, check for leakage at the exhaust ports. If everything is snug, I would weld the joints. At least tack them while on the car so that you know everything is aligned. Like you, mine were used ones, but mine came pre-welded from GPMoto (I helped install them when they were brand new so I know their history)...no cracks after quite a few miles/couple years of use. I would keep the plastic undershield on too...maybe the guys who've had problems had cold water splash on the hot header!?

Thanks. I used OEM. The original gaskets were used, though I had new ones. So I have some new ones sitting around, but it does not look like I am leaking at the flange. In fact, the stock gaskets were in such good shape that you could see all of the PLY's and they were still silver.

I would think the underbody cover would melt. Maybe not.

I also noticed the GP moto pipes run RIGHT along the oil filter... like 1/2 away.

Thanks. I used OEM. The original gaskets were used, though I had new ones. So I have some new ones sitting around, but it does not look like I am leaking at the flange. In fact, the stock gaskets were in such good shape that you could see all of the PLY's and they were still silver.

I would think the underbody cover would melt. Maybe not.

I also noticed the GP moto pipes run RIGHT along the oil filter... like 1/2 away.

Yeah, I was tempted to reuse the gaskets too, especially since I only had 2000 miles. Should be fine.

As for the undertray, I lined mine with Thermotec reflective barrier foil AND some thin aluminum over that...No melting, and just a little warpage at the oil filter door. I'm probably going to make a heat shield for my oil filter too.

-SRX

Yeah, I was tempted to reuse the gaskets too, especially since I only had 2000 miles. Should be fine.

As for the undertray, I lined mine with Thermotec reflective barrier foil AND some thin aluminum over that...No melting, and just a little warpage at the oil filter door. I'm probably going to make a heat shield for my oil filter too.

-SRX

I just wrapped mine w/ 2 layers of aluminized tape (like is used on HVAC systems)

I just wrapped mine w/ 2 layers of aluminized tape (like is used on HVAC systems)

You should have seen the Borla header on my WRX...I used Thermotec header jackets and then wrapped everthing with heavy duty aluminum foil...with safety wire. It looked like a Xmas Turkey hot from the oven:lol: Kept the tray from melting, the engine compartment cooler, and really helped turbo spool!

New shots from today...

Also ran video/sound clips...will try to post later.

Did a non-SAE db test: center of car, 2.5 ft from bumper at tip level...100db open and 94 db closed, both at 4000 rpm. As I wrote, non-SAE.

Getting a little leakage from the valve due to the poor plug job I did to the plate (there were 8 - 1/4" holes drilled in the plate when I used the cutout as a remote controlled silencer in my previous WRX exhaust system).

The LGT system, even when closed lets the exhaust really flow. I was surprised how fast the car is in stage 2...really hauls a**! And at highway speeds, is really quiet inside the car.

-SRX

1571532501_3-4Rearlow.thumb.jpg.3b03d8b657d226b79d056b41a8bba66d.jpg

435066117_Undercarshot.thumb.jpg.4d4e8b7b0b3862a97293c594ed9acd50.jpg

145253621_RearShot.JPG.63189ab150902805e4ff7dd9717bdf57.JPG

Wow - that looks *really* clean from the back. Nice job, once again. :)

And definitely, from the vids, it seems that the cut-out does suppress (or free-up) noise-levels quite a bit from inside the vehicle, I'd say that it is quite civilized on the highway! ....but surprisingly enough, even though your non-SAE dB test would seem to indicate quite a bit of outside-vehicle difference, from your drive-bys, it really doesn't seem to have mitigated sound levels all that much.

Maybe my reproduction equipment is biasing things? What's it like, in-person?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Wow - that looks *really* clean from the back. Nice job, once again. :)

And definitely, from the vids, it seems that the cut-out does suppress (or free-up) noise-levels quite a bit from inside the vehicle, I'd say that it is quite civilized on the highway! ....but surprisingly enough, even though your non-SAE dB test would seem to indicate quite a bit of outside-vehicle difference, from your drive-bys, it really doesn't seem to have mitigated sound levels all that much.

Maybe my reproduction equipment is biasing things? What's it like, in-person?

Thanks, again! It's been fun getting this from concept to reality.

As for in cabin, at idle, when you open the valve, you will definitely hear a difference. At full throttle, there is a definite difference. At cruise, you can really vary the sound with the gas pedal. The reality is the Magnaflow muffler lets a lot of flow and sound through. Probably if I was doing it again, I would get a Walker Super Turbo muffler to do two things: 1) be a little quieter and 2) help with the EL header sound.

We're going to redo the drive-bys to get a more comparable sound pattern. I was kinda freaked by how fast I got up to on the first run, and when that car pulled out in front of me on my "open" run I decided to call it quits on that road.

As I stated before, I drive around with the valve open almost all the time and when I drive in my residential street you can really hear the difference open vs. closed.

-SRX

you have to see things right... Every Subaru boxer 4-cyl sounds weird.. the Equal length setups sound right ;)

Amen. When someone tells me they like the "boxer sound" I usually correct them by saying, "What you actually like is the sound of inefficiency.".

SRX's car runs awesome!

Its hard to even tell the 4 inch rolled tips aren't stock. They fit the bumper cutouts perfectly.

Amen. When someone tells me they like the "boxer sound" I usually correct them by saying, "What you actually like is the sound of inefficiency.".

SRX's car runs awesome!

Its hard to even tell the 4 inch rolled tips aren't stock. They fit the bumper cutouts perfectly.

Its a matter of preference...

Bikers LOVE the way a Harley sounds, and it sounds that way because the engine is UNBALANCED and therefore INEFFICIENT. I personally LOVE the boxer rumble because it is different...

Its a matter of preference...

Bikers LOVE the way a Harley sounds, and it sounds that way because the engine is UNBALANCED and therefore INEFFICIENT. I personally LOVE the boxer rumble because it is different...

Yeah, I really liked the way my WRX sounded...brought back the old big block V8, lumpy cam idle days:icon_mrgr. But, I'm trying to keep my LGT more of a sleeper and less of a cop magnet besides.

-SRX

• 3 months later...
Yeah, I really liked the way my WRX sounded...brought back the old big block V8, lumpy cam idle days:icon_mrgr. But, I'm trying to keep my LGT more of a sleeper and less of a cop magnet besides.

-SRX

Those tips look very elegant on the silver lgt. HOw much would these tips and mufflers be?

Those tips look very elegant on the silver lgt. HOw much would these tips and mufflers be?

There is only one Magnaflow muffler, and it exits on the driver's side. The tips were part of the custom catback system...the whole deal minus the DMH cutout was $400. The tips are really nice...heavy gauge steel with good chrome, plus they're two piece (welded together), with the inner 3" in dia. and the outer over 4".

those might be my favorite tips on any lgt exhaust. are those magnaflow tips or custom?

They are custom from the muffler shop (non Magnaflow, but brand is ???). When I saw them, I said "that's it!" Large but not too big, very heavy gauge steel and was dual tube, so that the outer chrome portion was not affected by any condensation.

I snapped these shots today...rained last nite, so car is a mess.

537016467_RHTip.thumb.jpg.fbc5736e6d1e0d2c615ba3de628e413d.jpg

Tip.thumb.jpg.3bfc5029b9e3da3242b18af1a4f9f8d1.jpg

Archived