LegacyGT.com

Slip fits on headers leaking???

CasopoliS

I think I am leaking at my slip fits on my GP moto EL headers. I just put them on, and it sounds different than Trabbics car... who has the same set only with welded slip fits. Sounds like a slight leak... because there is no whistle and it is not high pitched... rather a VERY slight sputter of sorts.

Will this leak show up in a log? Wastegate duty show it?

What is the best way of determining where this leak is? What is a way to get rid of these leaks? Is welding the only option?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You should have a couple of minutes of "hand-OK" time to feel around for leaks after a cold-start.

Soapy water in a spray-bottle is another favorite trick, although I honestly don't know how much working-time you'll have here, either, in such close proximity to the really hot parts of the engine.....

Best of luck, bro!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks! I have heard that when cold, most slip fits leak a little (especially GP moto). Once they get hot it is not an issue. I will have to drive around more and once I heat up... maybe check again. Maybe it just leaks when cold.

I heard welding is good and bad because the welds do not allow for any movement. Not sure if this is an issue.

If I weld, I guess I have to grind the current coat off, tack weld with them in place... then take them off and get them fully welded.... then get them coated again. That would suck.

Slip joint are there for a reason. Many say it doesn't matter, and likely it does not if you don't keep your car for years.

If you don't want to weld up cracked headers in the future I say you keep the slip joint.

Check out the Borla header and many others...there are no slip joints and I haven't heard or seen any problems.

One guy (boxergt or something like that) had his Borla headers break twice.

Also nobody has had these headers for many many miles. I want my headers to be in good shape when I have 200k on my car.

GP Moto replied and say the test fit and weld each piece sold. 5 out of 700 have cracked, which were under warranty. They did not used to... I must have an older set. They said if I sent them to GP Moto they would weld them for me. That is service!

I might stop by some local shops and see about welding. I just really dont want to take them out.

Working with Jon at TDC now... he is being a big help in trying todetermine this. It is either the headers or intake for sure... but we are trying to figure that out now.

Here is the GP Moto email. A+ service

we weld all of our slip joints on all the headers coming from our facility, its kind of the value added part of our service. If the headers are not welded they did not come from us originally, I am concerned about this because the slip joint leak will only get worse with time and potentially be cause for unfavorable feedback. Please let me know, I would be happy to weld yours just to get them sealed up. As far as cracking we have had a total of 5 cracked headers out of over 700, these headers had a clearance issue with the cylinder head which caused stress and with the heat cycles eventually cracked. We now test for clearance as well before they leave our facility.

Ok I think I might have a boost leak. I am consistently hitting 15psi on a map I used to be hitting 18psi on.

Tried searching with the car idling, but found nothing. Don't really know what to look for. Since the leak is so small (only a few psi under WOT)... it will be hard to find. Still confused. But I think a boost leak is the only thing I can think of that would produce a few psi leak. I hit like 14 in second gear and 15.5 in third or somewhere near there.

Archived