LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage stats

[quote name='RoundBoy']i did an experiment today: My normal drive to/from work is at most 55 mph in brief spurts, and averages around 35. using my AT, I average around [b]17 mph[/b]... and its been going up every tank full. Today i reset the 'b' trip computer, and shifted my entire drive manually on sport shift. I was in 4th during the straight runs, downshifting to 3rd when i needed to accel uphill or gain some bigger power.. otherwise i was in 4th. i also engine breaked on downhill runs. My trip computer reported a avg run of 20.9 MPG ... and in line w/ my manual calculations.. my trip comp is < .5 mpg off. So... maybe we just need to drive around in manual for a while.. to let the ECU know how to shift a little better :)[/QUOTE] You drive in-between 35 and 55mph yet you average 17mph? :p :lol:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the best tank of gas I've had since I've owned the car this past weekend. It was 350 miles with 90% highway driving between 60-65 mph (even when I was in the 70mph zones!) This was a test I used to see how much better the mileage is when I cruised at a slower speed keeping the revs under 3000 the whole ride. This definately helped, the computer said I averaged 28.2 but using doing my own calculations it was actually 26.7386 MPG. Also one time during the trip I turned it to current MPG and was watching it at 28, 29.5,33 around there the whole time, then I turned on the AC and instantly it dropped to 23.5, 25, 24 and vice versa when I turned it back off so AC definatley has a big impact on the MPG for those concerned.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

this car ROCKS on highway mpg (5th gear is awsome).. my day to day driving is slowly getting better. I think i can see my fuel guage go down when i need to pass people from stop and going to boost though... That realyl kills my mpg rating

People qoute that their fuel economy display is incorrect sometimes. Could this be because the fuel economy display doesn't take fuel consumed while idling into account? Could it be that the more idling one does, the more inaccurate the fuel economy display is ? Then the fuel economy display only displays "fuel economy while not idling" I have a 2.5i but haven't checked the fuel economy display accuracy yet.

[quote name='shane']People qoute that their fuel economy display is incorrect sometimes. Could this be because the fuel economy display doesn't take fuel consumed while idling into account? Could it be that the more idling one does, the more inaccurate the fuel economy display is ? Then the fuel economy display only displays "fuel economy while not idling" I have a 2.5i but haven't checked the fuel economy display accuracy yet.[/QUOTE] Idle a lot and let us know.

My meter is pretty accurate. within .5 mpg or so. On that note so far my last tank I have been averaging about 23 mpg or so mostly city. I am trying to shift at 25-2800 rpm and my mileage is seeming to jump to about 25-26 in the city. I am about to make a long trip this weekend all highway and am anxious to see what it gets. I am guessing about 28 or so.

I think Shane has the right idea. The meter reads --- when idling. It should, ideally, be calculating this as 0mpg. *shrug* My last tank read 24.0 mpg on the readout, and calculated out to be 23.6, so not too far off. My current tankful is reading 24.9 on the readout. We'll see. Of course, I just passed the 1000m break-in period, so... Lower Gas Mileage, Here I Come! sqrl b8

[size=2]Man, I must be racing my LGT way too much. I rarely see my computed avg above 21 mpg. And the more miles that I'm putting on it, the less movement I'm seeing on the avg mpg. It's been sitting on 19.8 avg mph for more than a week.[/size]

[quote name='LandShark'][size=2]Man, I must be racing my LGT way too much. I rarely see my computed avg above 21 mpg. And the more miles that I'm putting on it, the less movement I'm seeing on the avg mpg. It's been sitting on 19.8 avg mph for more than a week.[/size][/QUOTE] I'm at 4500 miles and mine has been stuck at 21.0 forever!

I've got 2k miles on my LGT manual. Typical consumption for me is 18-20 mpg on my 90% surface street 5 mile daily commute. Interstate driving with the cruise control on last month got me 26.5mpg though. This is about 1-2 mpg better than my WRX on the same communte. I think I'm getting on the go pedal a bit less since I've got a lot more torque.

My '05 LTG L Wagon 5EAT has 3420 miles on it. The "Trip B" odometer has 3314 miles and my MPG is 21.9. I sure hope it is not reading higher than my actual mileage. I drive mostly highway (75%) miles and almost never use the Sport mode of the AT. That is a little lower than I had hoped to get, but the engine is not really fully broken-in yet. It is only about .5 MPG lower than my Passat V6 4Motion wagon which had 60 less HP, so I can't complain too much.

Seems like you do the same sorts of drives that I do. How's the car do at altitude? Has the freeway mileage changed since your initial report? Dan [quote name='goneskiian']I'm at nearly 7100 miles now. My calculated best and worst using miles driven (I reset one of the trip odometers with every tank and gallons on receipt) are 28.47 and 20.15. The computer for these tanks showed 29.1 and 21.3. The computer is just over 1 mpg high for me on average (1.19 to be exact). I'd say I drive way more highway miles than I do city/surface streets. In fact 3500 or so of these miles were just put on in a span of 2 weeks. The wife and I did a nice long road trip from Seattle through Yellowstone, Jackson Hole WY, Denver and back. This car is a fantastic grand touring mobile! Nice and smooth on the highway and tons of fun on the twisties! :wink: :lol: BTW, I highly recommend the Beartooth pass in South central Montana. 10,947 feet with twisties galore. :evil: For the record I've only used the highest octane available. 92 here in the greater Seattle area and 91 in those higher elevations of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Cheers! -Ian[/QUOTE]

Just did a track day yesterday. The track is 110 miles from my house. On the way there, I averaged 24.9 mpg, mostly freeway. Reset the trip computer and drove 94 miles on the track. Average 8.1 mpg on the track. Reset trip computer again, and average 27 mpg on the trip home...:D .

• 2 weeks later...
My highest tank so far has been two or three tanks averaging 25.1mpg, but part of that driving is in the 75-80mph range with it being fairly windy, I'm confidant I could get up to the 27-28mpg range if it throttled her back a bit. Also, as I've been putting every fuel stop into a spread sheet with everything from date, location, brand, octane, price/gal, gallons, miles, and calculated average, I've also checked what the gauge has read out for several tanks as well. I've found the gauge to be more accurate than first thought and the gauge has only been 0.7 to 1.0mpg average high. I thought it would have been nearly 2 to 2.5 gallons based on other estimates, but from what I've seen so far, that isn't the case, it isn't all that far off and I'd guess that part of that is by how far topped off the tank gets as to how close you are to your average on the gauge.

Just got 19.8 mpg from my first full tank about 60% freeway, and the rest stop and go slugging. BTW this was a little worse than I generally got in my REX, I generally averaged about 21mpg. However, when I first got my REX I typically averaged 18-19mpg. So really I figure its about the same as my rex, not bad for a car with 250hp, more weight, but better areodynamic, and possible higher rolling resistance tires. The computer for me said 21.0 mpg for me. BTW my first fillup of shell 93 octane was $30 which stung a little.....

Guest *Jedimaster*
I did a little expirement this week and drove mostly at the 3-3.5K range. it made a difference, but it's still kind of a gas hog.

I'm close to 4300 miles and the car's computer says I'm doing 16.5mpg. I have to admit, I have a depleted uranium, 1.5 heavier than lead, foot. Everytime I reset the trip computer, it still ends up between 16-17 mpgs by the end of the day. This probably won't change till I either get a speeding ticket or in a crash, or I'm broke. Mojo
I keed I keeed

Archived